Who made the Q sensor?

uhoh7

Mentor
Local time
6:46 PM
I had the idea at first it was CMOSIS, but this is claimed to be untrue.

Considering that Sony believes the in camera processor can be used extensively to correct images (the A7 cameras, un-modded, don't reach peak performance without this and the native lenses they are programed to recognize), and that the Q is now shown to use the processor to correct an unprecedented (for high end FF) barrel distortion, I'm beginning to suspect it may be a Sony sensor in there.

Sony is also able to scale up very fast, as they have shown, and are anxious that FF sensors become more widespread, so I'd bet they would cut a great deal with Leica.

I don't consider use of Sony components any sort of deal breaker, and i still shoot my modded A7 all the time as my second body to M9.

Who cares? Proof is in the pudding, I agree, but provenance is a legitimate topic to those following digital developments. :)

CMOSIS designed the M240 sensor, but it was actually manufactured by STMicro in Crolles, France. Not sure about this one.

I understand why we need to know!
What i have NOT figured out, is the LENS.
Leica has never, never made a f1.7 lens..
That is such a typical Japanese f stop.
If I am wrong, correct me.
OH! I once wrote Kodak about Sensor.
My P/S digital Easyshare definitely has a Kodak sensor..
Very much like the M8 problems but beautiful "slide" color.
Magenta shadows, purple in skies..
(I think like Kodachrome but I am keeping quite after last time's attacks).
I wrote to Kodak.
Wanted to Know which Kodak cameras had that sensor as were now into ruining Chinon..
Answer " None of your business.."
Maybe Leica feels same way..

Love the external viewfinder, but still cannot see buying an expensive vacation camera.

On my last trip I carried a phone for Google maps and photography, a WebPocket wifi for European data access, my extra battery, sunglasses, books etc, all in a small Lomography bag, which amazingly felt heavy on my neck after a long day, of adding stuff I had picked up or bought.

It was surprising the number of 6d Canons with the HUGE kit zoom I saw (I have one), but very few small vacation cameras.

Pretty camera, but not alluring. I would rather carry a cheap M8.

If you read my post in the other thread (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2498312#post2498312), the Q's image processor, the "Maestro II", developed by/with Fujitsu can do distortion corrections, too, at 12 fps for 24 MPixel. Why then would Leica not reuse the 240 sensor ?

Sensor this, sensor that, CCD vs CMOS, etc., etc., etc. The Q makes me hope that people will start to realize what happens after the sensor in a digital camera, starting from the A/D converter, is at least as important to image quality as who made the sensor, and what type of micro-electronic device captures the light.

Shorthand for: he has no clue or even a basis for who did not make it.

D-Neg is the ultimate know-it-all who often trashes other Leica sources, and an insufferable braggart.

Actually that's the general consensus. It also seems they called the Q before anyone else and met with Leica about it.

Sounds like you might have some issues? Personally, I like the site (and this one). Though I don't frequent either often.

Sent an email to Lars Brueckler who works for Leica in Germany and he said to me that the sensor in the Q is an, "improved M240 sensor." His response time getting back to me was less than one minute! German! Prompt.

Custom probably means the M240 sensor with a microlens array optimized for the Q's lens.

This sounds completely reasonable. It is also possible other aspects of the data stream are improved as well. The actual sensor bed is probably identical.

Actually that's the general consensus. It also seems they called the Q before anyone else and met with Leica about it.

Sounds like you might have some issues? Personally, I like the site (and this one). Though I don't frequent either often.

I have seen D-Neg in action. No Issue, just don't care for the bluster. I also used to enjoy the site, but no longer. That's just me.

Sent an email to Lars Brueckler who works for Leica in Germany and he said to me that the sensor in the Q is an, "improved M240 sensor." His response time getting back to me was less than one minute! German! Prompt.

That's interesting! Thanks Bill.

Not that it really matters much who made it; it's performance is what counts. I received a bunch of test raw files from one of the Q beta testers and looked at them just briefly. The camera seems very competent, the files render beautifully in LR 6.1.

G

Back