Who prefers Leica MP over M6 and why?

Yet another gripping topic ripe for intellegent bickkering, back-biting and name-calling! Gotta bookmark this one!

I like the rewind knob on the MP/M2/M3 better. That said, I sent my M6 classic to DAG and had the MP finder upgrade installed. He also changed the wind-on lever to the straight metal MP-style one. This gives me two sister cameras which are functionally almost identical, save for the rewind style, the finish, and of course silkier smoothness of the MP. (But that last is really not noticed much when shooting).

An M6 with finder upgrade is a relative bargain. Especially if you can get a relative to buy it for you.

I also prefer the rewind knob and the VF in the MP. But the MP is also a newer camera and so the meter electronics are likely to last much longer.

The differences between the two cameras are well-documented, but really don't affect use (aside from the more flare-resistent finder in the MP). Some folks like the older-style rewind and winding lever, some don't and some don't care one way or the other.

Buicks and MPs

Buicks and MPs

In consideration of the previous posts it appears an M4 is the poor man's MP.

As far as the angled rewind knob goes, I believe Vance Packard or someone like him related a 1960's study that showed that Buick lost sales when they put the mark's emblem anywhere on the front of the auto that was not perfectly centered. I'm sure that the same nervous obsession can be afforded by the rich camera enthusiast as well.

So far, nobody's answered you.

Reflects well on the Forum, that.

I'll PM you the full answer, since the egopaths are Peacocks.

The full answer is quite fascinating. Summary: M6 = rock bottom of the M line.

I'd rather shoot with an M6 then an M3/2/4/5/4-2/4-P.
That means you're opinion is incorrect. :)
_MG_6065.jpg

The full answer is quite fascinating. Summary: M6 = rock bottom of the M line.

Well at least my camera is the rock bottom product from a good company. Kinda like driving a 400i Ferrari. It's not great, but better than a Yugo.

My M6 sure is a blast for me to use though. I love taking pictures with it and have been happy with the results! That's all that matters to me.

Not as crazy as I expected!

I started with an M7, added an M5, then an M6, and I currently shoot M7's, MP's and the M5. The M6 was a less robust camera in my hands. It felt tinny, where the MP feels solid. I don't doubt the zinc top-plate of the M6 is the cause of this. I've worked some with metals, zinc will certainly crack before brass in my experience. The M5 feels and sounds quite different than the MP (M7 feels and sounds very different due to the electronic timing of shutter)- it feels to me that there is a lot more empty space under the cover of the M5, yet it still feels solid in the hand.

I keep the tools that work and feel best for me- and I sold the M6 fast.

I prefer the MP due to the better top and bottom cover (chrome brass, as the M3/M2/M4/M5 cameras), and to the better finder. In the MP the finder is build as the finder of the M4 and is more flare resistant in respect to the M6 finder (build as the same component of the M4-2). In any case, the Leica M6 remain a very good camera.
Ciao.
Vincenzo

I would like to have a camera with a mix of features of both cameras. From the MP, I really appreciate the top plate made of brass. If you ever saw a camera with a top plate completely covered with bubbles, you will agree with me. Personally, I don´t have any problems with the skin applied to the body (in fact, it is really enjoyable) nor the rewind button, although I like the style of the angled rewind lever.
However, this button may be slightly slower. I am still to realize how much slower it is. Also, the electronics seem to be updated and the mechanism is really smooth, with a different sound compared to the M6. From the M6, I like the black chrome finish. Yes, I believe that the black paint is more pleasing to the eye, but the black chrome is certainly more resistant. I also prefer its advance lever. For the rest, the camera is more or less the same.
P.S. Forgot to say that the MP viewfinder is clearer, with a slight blue tint.

By the way, a "a la carte" camera is absolutely out of question for me, financially speaking. Would not know how to ask for one in Brazil anyway.

Back