Who's looking forward to the Ikon

Huck, the close focus capability is another feature that I forgot to add into my post regarding my priorities. You're right, the R&D had to be significant, and it must be figured into the price somewhere.

If I had the funds to by one just to look at it, I'd do so. I think it's gorgeous.

Trius.

the 21 or 25 might be on my list - the camera house look nicely designed but I have not yet held it and that is the main thing - how it feels to handle

I think the price of the Zeiss Ikon looks quite atractive, heres a comparison table I've done

Rollei 35RF & 40mm f/2.8.................$1200
Bessa R3-A & 40mm f/1.4................$1250
Bessa R2-A & 35mm f/1.2................$1800
Zeiss Ikon & 35mm f/2.0..................$2900
Leica M6 TTL & 35mm f/2.0 Asph......$5850
Leica MP & 35mm f/2.0 Leicavit Ki....$7650

Note that with exception to the Zeiss Ikon, all are "special bundle" or "ex demo" prices. The Zeiss Ikon really holds up quite well. Id rather Zeiss glass than Leitz any day, anyways, what a huge choice we have!

How long is the baseline of the Ikon?

Daniel.

75mm baseline, as I recall... longer than an M Leica anyway, but shorter than a Contax II. :)

I agree the Zeiss Ikon camera and lenses look to offer a lot of value for the dollar. As do the Voigtlander models, but at a different price point. I have had my Leica for 38 years, but admit to preferring to use the 23-year-old Minolta CLE... As soon as I heard about the ZI I figured I'd have one and very likely it'll be the new favorite M-mount rig.

I love the idea, but at this point I'd only buy it if they offered a version that used the old Contax mount. I've got good bodies and better lenses for that. If I really need a modern body, I can track down an R2C. Otherwise, it's pretty but why should I buy a bunch of all new lenses? OTOH, if Zeiss were to offer those new lenses in the old mount, my wallet would be in a real world of hurt... :bang:

William

Me..! And I'm looking for a *black* one, and a *black* 2/35. And if it takes too long for them to come up with that stuff, I will probably go for a good Leica M6 in a "non-show" condition... that's serious

cheers, Frank

I calculate the price of a 28mm kit from Robert White to be about $2600USD (exc VAT), plus any shipping. As I read the US harmonised tariff schedule (and I'm not an expert), there is no import tariff. But any warranty work would require returning the item(s) to the UK for service. That's approximately 10% savings over US/Hassy pricing, right? So the pricing from Asia would be better, but I'm not sure it's enough for me to deal with warranty risk.

BUT... I would think Hassy would do well to become a sponsor here to ingratiate themselves to this market.

Trius

Huck Finn said:
Frank & William, I'll encourage you to pass on your thoughts to Hasselblad at [email protected]. Maybe they'll respond if they know that there is consumer interest out there.

Just for the heck of it, I sent an email as you suggest. No idea if I'll even hear back from them, but at least I let someone there know my preference.

William

Trius said:
I calculate the price of a 28mm kit from Robert White to be about $2600USD (exc VAT), plus any shipping. As I read the US harmonised tariff schedule (and I'm not an expert), there is no import tariff. But any warranty work would require returning the item(s) to the UK for service. That's approximately 10% savings over US/Hassy pricing, right? So the pricing from Asia would be better, but I'm not sure it's enough for me to deal with warranty risk.

BUT... I would think Hassy would do well to become a sponsor here to ingratiate themselves to this market.

Trius

Trius, I called Hasselblad & asked them if they would service a warranty if I bought the camera overseas. First, the rep said "No", then he siad they would if I could show proof of travel. He seemed a little tongue tied, which left me with the impression that he was making it up as he went along. I wonder if they would actually hold to the "no service without proof of travel rule." Who saves plane tickets so they can get warranty service on a camera. At least I was able to tell him that their prices were too high here.

Both Dr. Yao & Robert White have very good reputations. In several e-mail exchanges, Dr. Yao has responded to my inquiries immediately, leaving me with the impression that service would be good. Service by mail to Asia or Europe wouldn't be much different than those same folks buying from Stephen Gandy or Rich Pinto & then mailing back here for service. Many seem to do it. It's a global village. Just insure your packages.

Pricing from Asia would be better. Less than $2300 for the ZI/28mm package. I take it from your price that you are including the lens hood, which is about $80 from Asia. (Anyone buying the 35 or 50 mm Zeiss lenses can save a few dollars by substituting the LH-5 Voigtlander vented lens shade for the 40/1.4 Nokton, which fits perfectly on the Zeiss 35/2. Price is $45.)

Last edited:
wlewisiii said:
Just for the heck of it, I sent an email as you suggest. No idea if I'll even hear back from them, but at least I let someone there know my preference.

William

William, they have always replied to my e-mails within one business day. I expect that you'll hear from them on Monday.

Huck Finn said:
Trius, I called Hasselblad & asked them if they would service a warranty if I bought the camera overseas. First, the rep said "No", then he siad they would if I could show proof of travel. He seemed a little tongue tied, which left me with the impression that he was making it up as he went along. I wonder if they would actually hold to the "no service without proof of travel rule." Who saves plane tickets so they can get warranty service on a camera. At least I was able to tell him that their prices were too high here.

Both Dr. Yao & Robert White have very good reputations. In several e-mail exchanges, Dr. Yao has responded to my inquiries immediately, leaving me with the impression that service would be good. Service by mail to Asia or Europe wouldn't be much different than those same folks buying from Stephen Gandy or Rich Pinto & then mailing back here for service. Many seem to do it. It's a global village. Just insure your packages.

Pricing from Asia would be better. Less than $2300 for the ZI/28mm package. I take it from your price that you are including the lens hood, which is about $80 from Asia. (Anyone buying the 35 mm lens can save a few dollars by substituting the LH-5 Voigtlander vented lens shade for the 40/1.4 Nokton, which fits perfectly on the Zeiss 35/2. Price is $45.)

Huck:

Thanks for the research with Hassy & the pricing from Dr. Yao. Yes, my pricing included the shade, but IIRC the shade did not have that high a list price. In any event, if I were buying it in the US as a kit, I would haggle hard to get the shade thrown in if I were paying top dollar!

The proof of travel requirement is interesting. Not that I'm planning on going to travelling to either the UK or Japan in the near future ... unless I win the lottery or inherit buckets of money!

William, I'll be interested in hearing how Hasselblad responds to you.

There was a post over on Apug (http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?p=130157#post130157) that was quite interesting. The viewfinder sounds luscious!

Trius

I am very interested in the 50mm Planar in black and I am waiting for them to show up at B&H.

The ZI body interests me but ONLY if it is available in black. The one shortcoming it has that the design lacks motor drive capability. My M4-P amd M3 both have the Leica Motor-M and my If and IIIf both have Leicavits.

I can't undersatnd why they left motor drive options off the ZI. Or rather why they put the rewind crank on the bottom.

I would also like a 50mm f/2.8 Tessar in a fixed mount based on the Contaflex Tessar lens design. That was/is one nice lens.

Aoresteen, they put the re-wind crank on the bottom because they needed the room on the top fof the longer base line. At least, that's how I understand it. The longer rangefinder was the good news. The down side was the loss of motor drive or rapid winder capability.

Huck,

That's what I've been told as well. But look at the Contax II or III. That was a long RF base and the rewind still is on top.

I'll give up the motor drive for a black body!

Tony

Tony, I thought along the same lines. Didn't cameras like the M3 & Nikon SP have long base lines with the re-wind cranks on top? I don't know . . .Maybe body size was different on any of these cameras, maybe AE requires extra space somewhere. I would think they had a reason.

Cheers . . .

Looking at the pictures of the camera body, my guess is that the extra space needed for the viewfinder (including that big lump) is the culprit. It reminds me of the side mounted rewind on the Kiev 5 for similar reasons (and I'd have rather had a bottom rewind on it rather than that little contraption, but that's 40+ years past this bridge).

aoresteen - I agree. If they came out with a Tessar, any would do but the classic collapsable Contax 50/3.5 or 2.8 would be primo, then I'd be busting down the doors to buy the lens and body.

BTW, I haven't heard anything back from Zeiss or Hassy about my query.

William

Huck Finn said:
Tony, I thought along the same lines. Didn't cameras like the M3 & Nikon SP have long base lines with the re-wind cranks on top? I don't know . . .Maybe body size was different on any of these cameras, maybe AE requires extra space somewhere. I would think they had a reason.
I'm going to guess that designing this baseline length with both windows moved over to give room for the rewind crank might have resulted in just TOO traditional a Contax "finger in the window" situation over on the winding side.

The new ZI configuration at the VF side of the camera is very reminiscent of the Minolta CLE. Has any Contax RF camera offered a bottom wind, either motor or trigger?

And a warm welcome, Tony, to RFForum! Good to see you again. :)

Back