Why do I want a Hasselblad 500 c/m?

Can their ever be a post where everyone agrees? :)

I am totally spoilt, I know with the Mamiya 7. Leaf shutter, no vibration and it handles beautifully.

But where does that leave me for a 6x6 handheld? TLR only? Does the Bronica SQ have the same 'issues'? Maybe the Mamiya 6 is my best option.

Since using 6x7, I'm sort of reluctant to go back to 6x4.5. If I'm in MF mode I want it to be as big as possible.

And of course, perhaps I should just get a 50mm for the Mamiya 7 and enjoy...

I've heard there can be issues getting older (And more bank account friendly) Hassy stuff serviced now because they've stopped making the parts. If that's true, it's something to consider. If I'm totally wrong, then feel free to correct me or ignore this post

I use both my 6x6 units Handheld but actually prefer the Rollei due to built in metering. Very accurate as well.

Hasselblad 500 C/M - Handheld

Rollei 6002 Handheld

I use both my 6x6 units Handheld but actually prefer the Rollei due to built in metering. Very accurate as well.

Hasselblad 500 C/M - Handheld

Rollei 6002 Handheld

Just had to post that image, didn't you? Ok, vibration guys, response? :)

I wouldn't worry about vibration and hand holding, although it does depend on where you want to use it. The issue I have with hand holding is mostly to do with keeping the camera horizontal... Having said that, it doesn't seem to affect others.

I think that there are many advantages to the Hasselblad system that make it worthwhile in spite of whatever drawbacks there might be. The fact that it is such a comprehensive system being one of those: macro, telephoto, flex body, arc body, 645, 6 x 6 and on it goes... You just use it in a way that works for you.

My favourite street shooter. Hasselblad 500 C/M 60mm CF.

Handheld of course!

M%2060mm%20CF.

Everyone needs a Hasselblad. It's just one of THOSE cameras.

Attachments

• image-3010967709.jpg
    image-3010967709.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image-1563015034.jpg
    image-1563015034.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
I've used the Mamiya 645 before I used the Hasselblad 500c/m, but I used the Hasselblad at uni and the Mamiya was just to temporarily mend that hold in my heart that I didn't have one.

And then I bought one and it's my only medium format camera. I don't think I'd ever sell it. Even if medium format film discontinues, I'd keep the camera.

I absolutely love mine, and the results from those lenses are mind blowing! I don't have any real trouble using it handheld either, although I'l try and use a slightly higher shutter speed for a given situation than I otherwise might, conditions allowing. It's an amazing system though.

If you don't want to be persuaded, do not read my blog post about the Hasselblad...

http://www.djcphoto.com/index.php/hasselblad-500cm/

I had the same itch 2 years ago, felt that I needed a more serious studio type medium format camera, thought that my Mamiya 6 was too field-y or something . Wanted a 500CM all black, but on my quest I found a Rolleiflex 6006 outfit. Got it all together, had it for 2 weeks, and realized there was no way I was going to carry it around my neck. It's a tripod camera in practice ( I am a little guy @ 145 lbs ). After selling it back on EBay, my thoughts are - and I hate to say this, go digital.

Yep, consider the Nikon D800. You already have a very well regarded MF rangefinder, I think you are approaching redundancy with a Hassleblad. Bite the bullet and go full frame, or stretch yourself to the Pentax 645D. Acquiring a SLR MF system camera and lenses is going to consume your time, shoot often and bypass analog-to-digital workflow and hone your results. You can output 1:1 on most professional grade digital SLR's if you want the square.

I do love my Mamiya 6 and I would never give it up though.

Short answer? No, you don't want one.

I went through this a few months back. Guess what? Now I have a 501CM in near-mint condition, that I have only used a few times, which I now should start thinking about selling. Keep your mamiya, spend the money on a trip somewhere great to get yourself shooting. Forget about the 'Blad.

Short answer? No, you don't want one.

I went through this a few months back. Guess what? Now I have a 501CM in near-mint condition, that I have only used a few times, which I now should start thinking about selling. Keep your mamiya, spend the money on a trip somewhere great to get yourself shooting. Forget about the 'Blad.

So what went wrong?

BTW, I would never sell the Mamiya.

Back