why do we have a digital b&w thread?

... so the ministry of love can identify thought-criminals? ... but seriously, there does seem to be some negative vibes about at the moment

It should be removed, burned, and all traces of it erased from RFF !!!!!

*Grabs pitchfork and joins in the witch hunt*

;)
Dave

As a dyed in the wool pedant I suggest that all images displayed on a computer screen are digital so even the so called film images are in fact digital. :D

So you can start a thread with the title "why do we have a digital b&w thread?"

Digital B/W is not awful it just often lacks dynamic range. Same can be said for 90% of analogue B/W that is printed on Grade 4 to 5.

i'm not trying to stir up anything...

i am trying to generate an intelligent discussion regarding the viewpoint that digital does a poor job of black and white.

and why is it so popular...if digital b&w is so awful?

popular because people want to know if there really is a way to make decent digital b/w image? (ducking to hide :))

but seriously - probably because majority these days are doing digital b/w instead of film, thus it's not surprising.

If i created this thread i would have probably gotten what I deserved..

having said that , I think people who create the thread for black and white digital want to feel good and say "hey we can shoot black and white just as good so don't look down on us"

"i am trying to generate an intelligent discussion regarding the viewpoint that digital does a poor job of black and white."

Wouldn't an intelligent discussion deal with each image individually and ignore the source? Also would not the discussion deal with particulars rather than a broad generic condemnation? Lastly, wouldn't it be calm, rational, and educated rather than some of the inflamatory posts that we've seen?

i'm not trying to stir up anything...

i am trying to generate an intelligent discussion regarding the viewpoint that digital does a poor job of black and white.

Under certain circumstances Digital can create B/W images that are just as good or can surpass analogue B/W. As I've stated before Digital still lacks dynamic range. Images that require superb tonality are still better coming from the film world especially if using MF and LF cameras. Analogue B/W images printed on higher grade papers are often no better than digital B/W imho. Another thing that is often missing but can be added to some extent later is grain and the gritiness grain gives. Film is also much better at holding highlight details again this advantage is lost when using higher paper grades. The lack of texture is the main gripe I have with digital B/W. Images that don't require texture and or good dynamic range are equally good in both imaging medias. Anyway a bad analogue photo is a bad photo just like a bad digi photo is a bad photo.

Dominik

Under certain circumstances Digital can create B/W images that are just as good or can surpass analogue B/W. As I've stated before Digital still lacks dynamic range. Images that require superb tonality are still better coming from the film world especially if using MF and LF cameras. Analogue B/W images printed on higher grade papers are often no better than digital B/W imho. Another thing that is often missing but can be added to some extent later is grain and the gritiness grain gives. Film is also much better at holding highlight details again this advantage is lost when using higher paper grades. The lack of texture is the main gripe I have with digital B/W. Images that don't require texture and or good dynamic range are equally good in both imaging medias. Anyway a bad analogue photo is a bad photo just like a bad digi photo is a bad photo.

Dominik

yay and another thread transcends into film vs digital , when originally it was about a thread and not about film vs digital..

Back