Why no NEX macro estension tubes?

Local time
2:48 PM
Looked high and low on the Internet for a set of macro extension tubes for the NEX. Seems like a no-brainer. What am I missing here?

Ben Marks

Easy to adapt to something more readily available. Alpha, L39, M42, Om etc, etc.........That's the beauty of Nex.

Well, that's true. But with the EP-2, you can get an aftermarket extension tube which provides a m4/3 mount the requisite number of millimeters away from the camera's mount. Each legacy-lens specific adapter can affix to it. With NEX, if you use Nikon, Konica AR, Pentax M42 and Leica M and R lenses you then need extension tubes for each brand. I'm not saying it can't be done, but there is a PIA factor, which am surprised the market has not overcome. I guess the answer is that cross-platform macro is currently a practice or need without a market constituency.

Ben

Looked high and low on the Internet for a set of macro extension tubes for the NEX. Seems like a no-brainer. What am I missing here?

Ben Marks

It doesn't look like the current E-mount lens line (16, 18-55, 18-200) has any lens that goes well with an extension tube. The 16 is too short, so that even a minute amout of extension will move the far focus distance inside the lens, and the zooms have a comparable problem at 18mm. I guess Sony doesn't want to have to explain all the limitations that go with tubes..

Zooms tend to look bad on extension tubes anyway.

At least for Four Thirds there are some dedicated native macro lenses already where an extension tube makes sense.

I have just received my new Nex-3 body this last Saturday. Played with it all weekend, and I'm really, really pleased with it. Wonderful with my Minolta MC Rokkors, the 16, 21, 35/1.8, 58/1.2, 85/1.7, 100/2.8, 135/2.8 and 200/3.5.

I have several sets of Minolta MC Extension tubes that will work just great with the Nex-3. Tubes work best with normal to longer focal length lenses.

Back