Why the M2?

The Canon really isn't that big in use. It's fat, but it's short, if that makes any sense. I agree that a collapsible Summicron would be just the thing, though....!

2497932908_ec31db22cc_o.jpg

There is an article on the 50 years of the M2 in LFI this month, if anyone is interested and has a local store that sells LFI. Says nothing but good things about it :)

Clarel

Threads like this makes me appreciate the fact that I have a life-time supply of M2's as it is. Weird though, I still lust after Kevin's with the 50 monster Canon!

Threads like this makes me appreciate the fact that I have a life-time supply of M2's as it is. Weird though, I still lust after Kevin's with the 50 monster Canon!

If you have a lifetime supply, then pass some one to the younger generations. :)

A life-time supply of M2's takes only one, isn't it?

The Beast And The Beauty

The Beast And The Beauty

New Collapsible FED 50/3.5 on M2.

Canon F1.2 I just took apart and cleaned the glass inside (this morning). Lens is now in Mint Condition, including glass. :cool:

Last edited:
A life-time supply of M2's takes only one, isn't it?

No, my idea of a life-time supply is 12-14 bodies and 30+ M compatible lenses! Of course, one could survive with just one and a 35, but as I cant decide which body and lens I like - I kept them all!!!
Of course. I have the perfect excuse "Oh, they are all needed to test the Rapidwinder M2 on various bodies". So far it has worked!

No, my idea of a life-time supply is 12-14 bodies....

Now that's when you've got enough M2's - when you've got so many you're not quite sure exactly how many you have!

Seriously though, Tom, if the M2 is your favorite camera, you must have a particular favorite M2 amongst your "12-14", right? Maybe your first, or the brassiest, or the ugliest....

We're all jealous, so do us a favor, let's see a picture of the M2's biggest fan's personal favorite M2 - I think that would make it the king of all the M2's!

Ok, judging from the notches in the filmgate - my favourite is a rather battered M2, on its third paintjob and second or third top-plate. It is a 1130 range and was originally bought in 1964 and had some incidents which required surgery over the decades. It is always with me, with a 35 on it. The lens can vary - the body never.
The rest of the cameras are cycled through on a monthly basis - 3 bodies added and whatever non-35's I use. Of course, before a Rapidwinder goes off to a customer, it has at least 2-3 rolls through it with different bodies and usually different lens combinations.
Today's pack for some wandering around was a R4M with the 21/4.5 Biogon, the M2 1130 with the Nokton 35f1,4 SC (and Double X film) and a customer chrome M2 and a 35f1.7 (also with XX).
There are minute differences between bodies - and my favourites are probably more dependant on things like brightness of framelines and patch and force required for advance and probably "micro" wear on the vulcanite that makes it fit my hand. Who knows why certain cameras appeal and others are relegated to occasional use?

Here's my new 90mm f2 Version 2 Summicron on my M2. Feels really comfortable, going to run some XX with it:

Last edited:
It's a black nylon hairtie, so I don't trip the camera and waste a frame (like I used to do dozens of times a month), when it bumps something, or I throw it into the old Domke F2 bag.

I put one on just about all my cameras, including my SLR's.

Last edited:
I own and use an M2 and while I adore it, I still the think the M3 is unequaled in terms of build quality. It's in a class of it's own: double stroke, single stroke - it doesn't matter. The versatility of the M2 however, and it's similarity to the M3 keep it highly competitive as a "shooter" even today (in fact more so today due to the incredible new abundance of M lenses). It seems to command slightly more dollar value on the used market because of this.

My recent M2 story

My recent M2 story

I have my M2 now for more than 19 years. About 5 years ago it fell 2m out of a truck on the hard road surface. I lost only a bit of vulcanite (no dents on the camera) and the lens shade of my 90mm Elmarit had a little dent. The problem was that the rangefinder was showing anything else but not the distance. I sent it to Leitz for repair and they offerred me to do all for about 1100 Euro. That was far more than what I was willing to pay for a repair so the Leica went to the cabinet. I bought a Bessa R2 but I must say it was not like the Leica.
This year I phoned a repairman what I could do with the rangefinder and he told me if it would be the separated prism in the finder I would look for about 700 Euro for a replacement. I was ready to sell the Leica and go for a Zeiss Ikon. In between I bought a Minolta CLE kit (28,40,90) for travels. For checking the sound of the 3 cameras (R2, CLE, M2) I released the shutter of the Leica and after it the shutter cloth was pulled out of the metal clip. So I went to the repairman and asked what a new cloth would cost. He told me that it would be about 300 Euro for the cloth and I told him that with the damaged finder I would not do anything with this camera than selling it like it is. Surprisingly he looked into the finder and told me that it is probalby not the separated prism and that a finder repair would maybe only an additional 50 Euro.
After all I decided now to repair and keep my old trusty M2 and sell the Bessa. I think I will use it for b/w and the CLE for the color slides. I also got a nearly brand new Olympus XA (with flash) as a backup travel camera for only 30 Euro from the bay.

Xmm, Tranvelbag, I wonder why shutter cloth replacement has been priced to expensive...
I had my M3 restored by Mr. Youxin Ye, a very well respected M repairmen including complete replacement of both shutter curtains aside of complete overhaul, few parts replacement (including lens mount), stripping old vulkanite and replacement with a new skin, all that for not much more then 300-350 US$ done within a week or slightly longer !
Now, what I did hear is that heavy optical treatment of the rangefinder system may indeed fetch very high cost...

Now back to the topic...I do not own M2 albeit a lust for one hits my mind at a times (in particular when I read this kind of thread on RFF :) ), but I do like very much these raised borders around M3 windows and wish my M6 had these...aside of aesthetics I found it useful preventing (or considerably reducing) the chances of grabbing the camera with fingerprints left on the RF or finder windows which I find quite annoying afterwards...
I figure since owning M3 I tend to reach for M3 with 50mm Cron attached far more often then I do for M6 (which has 35mm attached to it) just because of smoothness of M3's operation and 50mm frame convenience, but if I would keep my 35mm as my main FL, chances M2 would be hard for me to pass by...

The M2 was my first rangefinder, back when spending £400 for one was in my mind the absolute highest amount of money I 'd ever spend on gear. A few thousand pounds of buying and selling later I got a second one. The first one had etched on my mind what to expect and what not from a rangefinder. With the M2 being the entry point to the Leica world because of its (lower) price, I suspect it leaves often the same ineradicable mark (in particular the 'less is more' attitude) to others too.

All things said so far about the nice specs of the M2, couldn't agree more. There are two-three extra things I like about it, that go for all meterless M's to be honest. First, the camera doesn't understand from rain, snow, cold, heat. Second, it's exactly the right heft for me (metered Ms are slightly heaftier). Third, the self-timer.

...I still the think the M3 is unequaled in terms of build quality. It's in a class of it's own...

How so? They feel the same to me; both handmade and very smooth. I thought the only difference was the finder and the styling.

Couldn´t agree more to all the good things said about the M2 - something like the essence of rangefinder cameras.

I bought mine a few years ago. It must have had a crash before, the body is still battered and the viewfinder is not the original one - must be something between M4 and M6 with flare and frames for 35, 50, 90 and 135 - but I really enjoy using this camera which - by the way - was build the year I was born. That makes it something special for me, too.

Thomas

P.S. Will I think about how many M2 bodies are needed for a lifetime? No, but maybe another body build in 1963 will come my way. By chance I can afford it.

How about the original lenses of the correct vintage for my new M2? As you can see from my avatar, I have a (new to me) version-two 90mm f2 Summicron. Very pleased with that, so far. I am thinking about a Rigid Summicron 50mm, versus getting another 50 DR, which I have wanted because I had one twenty years ago. The Rigid is he same lens optically, right? And then I would like another 35mm f2 M2 Chrome Summicron, but that's another matter. :cool: Which version is best for classic M2 use? Oh, and a 50mm f2.8 Chrome Wetzlar Elmar, for sure. Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
Back