Wide focal length (28mm or wider) fixed lens RF with leaf shutter?

Not RF focusing but, didn’t Ricoh have a very compact P&S with a very wide lens?
The name escapes me now. Ah the joys of getting old.
Edit; The GR, right? Finally popped into my head.

Not RF focusing but, didn’t Ricoh have a very compact P&S with a very wide lens?
The name escapes me now. Ah the joys of getting old.
Edit; The GR, right? Finally popped into my head.

The GR series was 28mm, which is wide but not hugely so. They made a limited run of 21mm GR cameras, though, which are hard to find and expensive to buy, not to mention hard to service.

I had, and enjoyed the GR1 but always wondered about the cheaper R1s, which from memory, had a 30mm lens and a 20 something mm panoramic setting. I wonder if it has stood the test of time?

wow, these responses are amazing. keep em coming guys

yeah from what it seems, I'll probably go for the Minolta CLE + 28mm one day (perhaps a Bessa), since nothing affordable is available...

point and shoots are out for me, nothing against them they are beautiful devices, but I do want a full photographic experience if possible, aiming, framing, manual focusing, light metering, physical controls for all relevant variables in exposure, etc etc

um... what?

I guess the most cost effective slash future proof option is to go to LTM body and start using Jupiters and slowly ascend to Voigtlanders etc

:sigh:

Yes, great lens. Although the TC-1 I had was very loud when turning it on and also when focusing.

The Contax TVS is another option for 28mm. Lens isn't quite as good as the TC-1 but quieter in operation. Also has an electronic rangefinder built in if you don't want to rely on the AF. Plus it zooms if you get bored with the wider view :).

-Thomas

The TVS series has the dreaded ribbon cable failure issue. The TVS III is the least likely to suffer as it is the newest. But I hated mine. Killer lens when it managed it nail focus but for some reason mine missed focus more times than not. Plus I could not stand the trapdoor lens cover. Wish they kept the design of the TVS II.

um... what?

I guess the most cost effective slash future proof option is to go to LTM body and start using Jupiters and slowly ascend to Voigtlanders etc

:sigh:

Yeah an LTM maybe the best option. Even Bessas are getting pricey, and I have had two CLEs die from electrical failures.
Canon has some nice options, as of course Leicas and Zorki or Fed.

The TVS series has the dreaded ribbon cable failure issue. The TVS III is the least likely to suffer as it is the newest. But I hated mine. Killer lens when it managed it nail focus but for some reason mine missed focus more times than not. Plus I could not stand the trapdoor lens cover. Wish they kept the design of the TVS II.

I really like my TVS ii, especially just twisting the lens to turn it on, no noisy motors to extend the lens. No ribbon failure so far, and for luxury P&S they are still relatively affordable. Although, the lens doesn't seem quite as wide as the TC-1 it replaced.

-Thomas

I really like my TVS ii, especially just twisting the lens to turn it on...
-Thomas

Yes, that was perfect! Why did they mess with that? With my III when you turned it on, you had to first wait for the flap to lower, then the lens to extend. And the flap seemed so vulnerable like it could snag on something at any time.

I had, and enjoyed the GR1 but always wondered about the cheaper R1s, which from memory, had a 30mm lens and a 20 something mm panoramic setting. I wonder if it has stood the test of time?

I've been absolutely beating the crap out of my R1s for years now (basically lives in my pocket daily). Still going strong. The LCD screens are known to die...but mechanically they seem to be quite robust.

QaBqZcA.jpg

Does something like the above exist?
I definitely prefer the 28mm focal length to any other I've found, and I am in love with the leaf shutters, nothing else does it for me these days.

Also, being compact is a consideration as well. The widest leaf shutter fast lens camera I've got is my Konica Auto S3, but I would like to go wider and potentially keep the format of this kind of camera if possible, don't wanna lug something heavy with me.

Am I searching for unicorns here, not gonna happen?

I could always go Minolta CLE plus 28mm lens, but I am wondering what else is there, if anything, that has an actual leaf shutter.

Thanks for reading guys. Cheers!

I like leaf shutters for flash work, but I do use focal plane shutters fairly often. So, what's driving the requirement for a leaf shutter and a fairly wide lens?

Back