Wide Wednesday Lens Poll

Wide Wednesday Lens Poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
45% people wrong, 27% right.

Yes, and 45/(45+27) = 63% wrong while 27/(45+27) = 37% right. Call it 60/40 or maybe two-thirds wrong vs one-third right.

What with the variables I couldn't fully control such as changing light and color temp, the use of digital capture, miniscule focus differentials, etc., I don't know whether any conclusion other than both lenses are very close in performance makes sense.

And three votes after the answer was revealed :rolleyes:

BTW, Mike did you crop the shot taken with the ZM 25/2.8 much? Also, can you post the uncropped shot so we can see the actual FOV difference between the lenses. Thanks :)

Jon, I won't be near my files for awhile, but I'll see what I saved. The FOVs weren't much different, actually. I kinda think they're both more like 24.5mm lenses.

I voted for preferring A because I think the colours are richer. Haven't a clue which is which though.

Incidentally, if we're doing this on Wide Wednesday, what have you got lined up for Thin Thursday?

Ha! I'm 2 for 2 .... incorrect ;)

So Mike have you decided which one you will keep? If this test is an indicator the choice will be a coin flip at least in regards to IQ. The Biogon is quite large but focuses to .5m.
Does the Leica also have a close focus feature? I've never owned or handled the Leica lens. The ZM25(s) I had were returned. I found it big and had trouble with the focus action in 2 consecutive copies. The ring was smooth going from close to far but "notchy" coming back from far to closer in. Sharp as a tack though from corner to corner.

BTW These quizzes would be fun to do with a side by side of different film. :D

...The Biogon is quite large but focuses to .5m....
Andy, the two lenses have nearly the same length and barrel diameter, except that the Leica flares out at the front to take 55mm filters, whereas the Biogon takes 46mm. So the overall effect is that the Leica 24 is the larger of the two. I have the Biogon, and mine is very smooth.

Andy, the two lenses have nearly the same length and barrel diameter, except that the Leica flares out at the front to take 55mm filters, whereas the Biogon takes 46mm. So the overall effect is that the Leica 24 is the larger of the two. I have the Biogon, and mine is very smooth.

The f/2.8 Elmarit flares to take an E55 filter, the f/3.8 Elmar takes an E46.
Is the Elmar smaller than the biogon? Because the Elmarit sure isnt.

Ha! I'm 2 for 2 .... incorrect ;)

So Mike have you decided which one you will keep? If this test is an indicator the choice will be a coin flip at least in regards to IQ. The Biogon is quite large but focuses to .5m.
Does the Leica also have a close focus feature? I've never owned or handled the Leica lens. The ZM25(s) I had were returned. I found it big and had trouble with the focus action in 2 consecutive copies. The ring was smooth going from close to far but "notchy" coming back from far to closer in. Sharp as a tack though from corner to corner.

BTW These quizzes would be fun to do with a side by side of different film. :D

Very different handling. The 24/3.8 is tab focus, the 25/2.8 is ring-and-bump. Both 46mm thread. With a square ZM hood (I have only the round version), they're probably very close in size and finder blockage. Here are two side-by-sides:

ZM 25 f2.8 LM 24 f3.8-002-Web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

ZM 25 f2.8 LM 24 f3.8-001-Web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

Well, my error; I missed that we were talking about the new f/3.8 Elmar, not the f/2.8. It does indeed look very compact!

Back