Widelux F8 focus distance

Doug D

Local time
4:33 AM
The focus for the Widelux is controlled by aperture control. The lens is set at a focus distance though, but I have seen reports that it is set at roughly 11 feet, 5m (16ish feet), etc.). Does someone have the correct info, or suggest a place to look. Working backwards from the DOF table in the manual does not work. I may set up a test with film, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if better information is out there.

I owned an F7 and and still have the Horizontal and neither are set at infinity.

I did some digging and what I found was 11ft. Hard to believe but that’s what’s published.

Last edited:
Jeff Bridges site says 11'. When I had a widelux I think it was around there. You can put a blank piece of film in the camera and take a picture wide open and stop the turrent midway to check. It was set to be in focus close up wide open and requires you to stop down a bit to get infinity in focus. Wide open you have about 8' to 18'. If that focus distance is accurate you need F8 to get infinity.

The HorizonT is the opposite. Per the manual wide open it covers from about 16.5' to infinity at f2.8 which should mean it is focused at about 32' away. To get in closer you need to stop down. I modified one of my HorizonT for closer focusing by putting brass tape on the film rail.

Back