Will the Canon S-60 lens hood fit the 50mm f1.2 LTM?

Darinwc

Established
Local time
12:09 AM
Will the Canon S-60 clamp-on lens hood fit the Canon 50mm f1.2 LTM lens? It is marked for the 50mm f1.4 FL lens, but it should fit any lens with a 58mm thread and an outer diameter of 59-60mm right?

Yes, it fits perfectly. Not sure about the hood being marked for the 50mm f1.4. I was thinking the f1.4 had a 55mm thread.

I have this hood and I have a 50mm f1.2 LTM. And I use them together. In fact I am looking at them as I write. BUT......here's the thing. I found the 60mm internal diameter of the hood to be too large for the 58mm external diameter of the lens. Even tightened up to the max the clamp will not lock it on the lens. To correct this I shimmed the inside of the clamp fitting around the base of the lens hood with 4 small pieces of rubber fitted to the hood ' s clamping ring with thin double sided tape. I think what I used was the kind of stuff designed to stick on the base of objets d'art to prevent them scratching furniture. These are readily available in various thicknesses from hardware stores. Obviously you need something about 1mm thick for this purpose. Works fine but still a bit prone to letting the hood slip off if not careful. You can get thin cork or felt and use it similarly. Alternatively get a 58mm to 60mm step ring and use that but this may mean the hood is less stable on the ring. You may also need a 60mm UV filter on the ring to give the hood more to clamp onto if you go this route. (There is always more than one way to skin a cat.)

I believe you will find the lens hood was designed for use with the Canon 50mm f1.2 in FL bayonet mount which has a slightly larger diameter than its LTM cousin. I bought my hood quite cheaply on ebay thinking I was very lucky as hoods for the LTM lens are normally horrifically expensive. Only when I received it did I realize my mistake. Never mind all well that ends well.

Back