Will the M240's successor have an optical rangefinder?

Will the M240's successor have an optical rangefinder?

• YES, a M camera without an optical rangefinder is unthinkable!

Votes: 91 82.7%
  • NO, its time Leica takes advantage of the newest RF technology

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • Hmm, I have no idea

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters
well at least one one of the next gen Ms will have one. But I think someday there may be an option.

A really small barnack sized M-mount with EVF for 3K would not be bad :)

An all new film M camera with an EVF so no shots are wasted by missed exposure would be incredible!

Then again, seeing my M7 exposes film better than my 3D matrix metering Nikon F6, maybe Leica is already there..

How would this even be technically feasible? The whole idea behind the M finder is that one can see outside the picture image area. An EVF that would allow this would need to be independent of the main camera lens - image creating sensor optical path (but perfectly translate distance information from the lens cam) or the sensor would need to be larger than 24x36mm. The first option seems unlikely and the second option seems remote.

How would this even be technically feasible? The whole idea behind the M finder is that one can see outside the picture image area. An EVF that would allow this would need to be independent of the main camera lens - image creating sensor optical path (but perfectly translate distance information from the lens cam) or the sensor would need to be larger than 24x36mm. The first option seems unlikely and the second option seems remote.

an EVF with digital RF images
might offer some advantages

such as framelines for any focal length lens - coding would do it
variable finder magnifications better suiting each focal length
no need for multiple framelines - only one frameline at a time needs to be seen

imagine switching from a 50 to a 10mm lens
with an auto switch of framelines and finder magnifications !

variable frameline size with focused distance for accurate framing

of course it would have to be an extremely high definition EVF,
or why bother ?

If they take out the VF/RF and put in a digital finder, that will be the equivalent of replacing the VF with a mirror system--that is, a different camera, not a new version of the same. Is the Leicaflex a Leica M? Of course not. Would an electronic finder M-like camera be an M? Of course not.

Would they do it; replace the M with an EVF camera? Possibly. I don't see Leica as being the cleverest company in the photo world, so anything could happen. Ruining their main reason for existing is totally possible.

I could see the attraction of such a camera as a parallel line, though.

Well no reason why not. It's a Q without the lens. The margins should be the same and you can bet they would sell more of them :)

Right because Leica always makes prices that make sense. They are a luxury brand not a volume brand.

Back