Winogrand

Very cool to watch. How great would it have been to hang out with him a bit?
He was noticed quite a bit in that clip, but he did have a camera crew following him around so that likely drew much of the attention.

Inspiring clip.

I suppose one of us could put the Meyerowitz and Winogrand* videos side-by-side, with appelations such as "Street Photography: the Wrong Way/Street Photography: the Right Way", "Street Shooter: Ninja/Street Shooter: Plainclothes", or the like. I like Meyerowitz and his work, but I felt he was veering awfully close to parody in his clip (and not necessarily self-parody, either), whereas Winogrand had a just some guy, you know? demeanor which, more often than not, was the M.O. of most of the good and great photogrraphers I've had the good luck to rub elbows with more than once (Elliott Erwitt and Burk Uzzle come to mind).

- Barrett

*The Winogrand film crew, of course, was a real film crew, as WNET (and CBS's 60 minutes) still had a film unit or two back then. I often like to tease camera crews I encounter or directly deal with when it comes to nomenclature:

Camera Operator: We start filming in twenty minutes

Me: Uh, no, you're taping in twenty.

C.O.: Huh?

Me: You're not shooting film. You're shooting tape.

C.O.: What's the diff?

Me: You're went to school for this stuff, and I have to explain it to you?

C.O.: Dude, this thing actually has a hard drive thingy in it. So #µ©% off.

AusDLK said:
>Now I want a hexar RF

The Hexar has gone from a lowly stepchild backup to my M7 to my front line camera. It is a really great camera.

Only a smidge louder then the M7 but having a top speed of 1/4000, the auto-winder, auto-loading/rewinding, self-timer, smaller than the M7 (when I had it fully equipped with the TA Rapidwinder and Grip), and 1/3 the cost of even a USED M7 makes it impossible to beat.

I feel myself slowly being cured of LS (Leica Syndrome) and comfortable in the knowledge that a camera doesn't have to be made by Leica in order to be excellent -- and to (hopefully) take great pictures.

I've got serious LS right now. i can't afford an M8 (or M7 for that matter). But a used M6 is doable. But I really really want a camera with AE. I was thinking of going bessa-R2A, but maybe I can stretch a bit and get a hexar. So it sounds like you're pretty happy with it...

Hmm...based on eBay prices and the like, I think it's time to move Hexar futures up from "outperform" to "buy and hold". :)

(Not that I needed any convincing...)

- Barrett

Last edited:
>I was thinking of going bessa-R2A

Skip the Bessa with its short RF base and less than rugged RF design.

The Hexar is far closer to Leica in QA then the Bessa hopes to be. (I like the Bessa BTW...)

You will be able to find a Hexar RF here or on eBay in excellent or mint condition for $600 or less if you are patient. I just bought two "new" (for me) cameras in kits with the 50mm f/2 lens and flash for ~$1000. I sell the lenses for $400 to $500 so you do the math...

Barrett's right. If I ever want to buy one, clearly I'm screwed.

I've tried all that I can think of, and I absolutely cannot watch the Winograd video.

Ted

tedwhite said:
I've tried all that I can think of, and I absolutely cannot watch the Winograd video.

Ted
Ted: Were you able to download the video? I (or someone here, perhaps) could send you the Quicktime video, if that would help.

- Barrett

Barrett:

No, I was not able to either view it online or download it. I tried everything. I disabled ZoneAlarm, AVG, Windows Guard-it-All, or whatever the hell it's called. No luck. I even joined Vimeo.

Anything you can do would help. My email is [email protected].

(Who is Martin Munkacsi?)

tedwhite said:

He's a dead guy who pretty much set the stage for Richard Avedon to define what a well-dressed woman was supposed to look like in a fashion magazine. Really.

He was also a damned good all-rounder; guy could take interesting pictures of anything he got pointed at. Started as a press photographer.

Tried to google his jaw-dropping 1920s picture of a motorcycle going through a puddle; no soap. Saw it in person in Manhattan two weeks ago, though, and it blew my fuses like no other photo ever has.

tedwhite said:
Barrett:

No, I was not able to either view it online or download it. I tried everything. I disabled ZoneAlarm, AVG, Windows Guard-it-All, or whatever the hell it's called. No luck. I even joined Vimeo.

Anything you can do would help. My email is [email protected].

Holy smokes! This is the best argument ever to ditch Windows! :D

Perhaps you 've read it before but I just came across this interview with Winogrand by Diamonstein

http://www.jnevins.com/garywinograndreading.htm

Although he tries to remain as elusive as ever, as well as resist the over-intellectualisation of his photography, there are, I think, some quite interesting comments that give an insight into his motives, aspirations and even technique.

Last edited:
Who is Mukacsi?

Who is Mukacsi?

Biggles said:
He's a dead guy who pretty much set the stage for Richard Avedon to define what a well-dressed woman was supposed to look like in a fashion magazine. Really.

He was also a damned good all-rounder; guy could take interesting pictures of anything he got pointed at. Started as a press photographer.

Tried to google his jaw-dropping 1920s picture of a motorcycle going through a puddle; no soap. Saw it in person in Manhattan two weeks ago, though, and it blew my fuses like no other photo ever has.

I think you've seriously undersold Munkacsi, even as you've praised him. Seeing his work was a major life turning point for Cartier Bresson, who has been quoted at length to this effect.

His images of boys playing in the surf in Ivory Coast, and some of his work from the same period in Liberia, next door, pretty much redefined for HCB what the camera could do, and he quit painting as a result. The rest is history.

Munkacsi's work in Nazi Germany, before he went into exile and essentially became a fashion photographer, is also ground breaking, setting the stage for Leni Riefenstahl and others, as was his work in Brazil.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aglimpseoftheworld/

http://www.howardwfrench.com/photos/

Last edited:
DMG said:
Ash thanks for this, but does anyone else think that Winogrand came across as slightly "creepy"

It so happens he was my upstairs neighbor as I was growing up.

I have to look at this video. I got interested in him again as I started thinking back on my own teenagehood photojournalist career.

When I was trucking I was laid over in Savannah, GA and I visited the Sav Coll of Art & Des library and read up on him. I was quite surprised to see a woman in one of HIS picts that is in one of MY picts. We hit the same woman,damn!! It must have been her plasticy hair.

I cannot say anything about him personally, but I knew his son a little-- NOW there was one creepy boy!!

From both psychology, education, and school bus driving, I can say that odd behaviors are transmitted thru the young. When a kid was bad on the bus, it was pointless to try to set things straight, as the kid's parent was waiting at the stop, sometimes w/ a gun !!

As they say, "the nut doesnt fall far from the tree." So yes, he may have been creepy.

Back