Worth dipping my toes in the world of Retina?

My new (to me) Retina II type 014, is a joy to use despite a fairly mucky viewfinder.

Mine's a type 11 and it was very easy to remove the top and clean the viewfinder/rangefinder. Not sure if it's as easy with a type 14 but can't imagine why it wouldn't be. Definitely worth a clean, the tiny viewfinder needs all the help it can get, and afterwards my rangefinder is one of the brightest I've used.

Mine's a type 11 and it was very easy to remove the top and clean the viewfinder/rangefinder. Not sure if it's as easy with a type 14 but can't imagine why it wouldn't be. Definitely worth a clean, the tiny viewfinder needs all the help it can get, and afterwards my rangefinder is one of the brightest I've used.

Took the lid off my Type 014 , and cleaned away all accessible surfaces. I didn't remove the RF. I achieved a brilliant clear view through the VF until I replaced the top. The inside surfaces of the front and rear glass must have needed more cleaning as I realised. I'll repeat the process now that my confidence in my abilities to not ruin the camera has improved.

Turns out that my lack of interest in the little c models was incorrect. I came across a very nice IIc ,in great condition. It is a little bulkier but it's undoubtedly quicker to use and the bright line finder is better than the Type 014. I rather like the coupling of SS and aperture. They are quickly decoupled . Together with my II they make a fine pair of Retinas.

Back