Wotancraft or Ona?

Apart from the looks of that bag, it is rather overpadded isn't it? Then if you run with it, the bag will distort diagonally and the contents will fall out of the open sides of the bag, plus it can be very easily picked. Nor does it appear to be water-resistant or easily repairable.

Luckily no-one asked me else I would have steered them to Courierware - where one can also customise the bag with a woven finish and so on if you wish (though I'd avoid choosing any padding, apart from the base). The basic Courierware designs are far more practical in my opinion, based on four (five?) years of use, but then I'm not thinking along the same decorative lines as your wife!

i like it and have just come from the website...there are some interesting combinations there.
how do you like the medium size? does the camera move in and out ok, without snagging on the interior?
and the padding...too much?

The only part that I think could be a little less padded might be the 'front' section of the bag (where the outer zipped pocket is). Now I do have a mini tripod and a rocket blower in that front pocket, so it might appear to be a bit more 'bloated' in that area than it actually is (actually just measured the padding, and both sides and the front are 1" outside measurement each). So whether that much padding on three of the sides is 'too much' or not depends on how much you feel comfortable with. I mean, I have a Domke F803 and the big complaint about that one is that it has too little padding.

And as far as anything falling out of the sides, I really can't see that happening. The flap closes down pretty snug, and even if you left the flap unclipped it would still be fine (I road-tested it this past weekend and it seemed fine to me). Just to test it out now, with the flap clipped shut I took the bag and turned it sideways and shook it, and nothing came out. The only way something would come out would be if you turned the bag completely upside-down and shook it. Plus, there's the nice wide strap that would also prevent anything from falling out of the sides (assuming you have the bag hanging from your shoulder). As far as someone slipping their hand in the side and pulling something out, well I'm going to NYC soon so we'll find out!

A word about water resistence -- the outer canvas is a waxed cotton, so it should hold up fine. The big red flap is obviously leather, so if you were really concerned about protecting it, you could add a coat of Dubbin to it. The tapestry pattern, can't say, but it's canvas-backed, so I think it's fine.

Repair-wise, I think if there were ever an issue, I'd just send it back to Robyn. Now having said that, I did have my upholstery friend do that 'fix' to the interior dividers. And actually, that may be something else that some photographers may or may not like, which is the fact that the dividers are sewn-in, rather than velcroed. I can really go either way with that, so no biggie for me. But the bag seems so well made that I can't see anything that would require future repairing (they don't skimp on the 'quality' in Grand Rapids!). My upholsterer friend even commented on how well-made it was, and he knows a thing or two about fabric and construction.

Pulling the camera and lenses in and out of the bag is not an issue at all -- nothing gets snagged, in and out easily, nothing gets lost. Here again, the only thing that I found out right away was that the dividers were too long for my Leica lenses (and I have two mounted back-to-back on each side, so 4 lenses total plus the Noctilux on the body), but my upholsterer friend did the quick fix, so now that's not an issue.

Overall I think it's a good size -- I don't think I'd want anything smaller, and the bigger one is too big for my specific need (Robyn told me that one would hold up to 50 lbs of gear). So all in all, I'm happy.

i just ordered this bag...

il_fullxfull.397435799_t38t.jpg

in the new size, inbetween small and medium, for mirrorless cameras...

vince, don't tell your wife i went with the black!

i also ordered a billingham L2 which i think is about the same size...so this will be for everyday and the black L2 will be for 'dress up'...

Yeah I was just gonna say that too about my wife!

So this one that you ordered is one that she already has in stock? Or is this one of her 'pre-order' bags?

That's a cool looking bag, Vince. I think it will even age well. It will never be anonymous... :)

And Joe is even more of a "Bagmelda" than I am, I see. !!

G

if the day comes and the german customs wont make me pay anything for such an inter-atlantic order.. i'll order one. had a look at the choices and it definitely has something. although I find the choice of colored fabrics just weird... these colors and patterns are better suited for women. at least the large majority of them

if the day comes and the german customs wont make me pay anything for such an inter-atlantic order.. i'll order one. had a look at the choices and it definitely has something. although I find the choice of colored fabrics just weird... these colors and patterns are better suited for women. at least the large majority of them

Ah well -- I guess weirdness is in the eyes of the beholder.

I do agree that many of the designs are geared towards women -- but hey, if you had a Leica R3 Safari, wouldn't it be logical to get the bag with the elephant on it????

Other alternative is to custom-order the bag, thereby allowing you to choose the fabric/leather combinations yourself. Takes a bit longer, but at least you won't have to 'settle' for something if none of the 'in stock' ones are to your liking.

Interesting! I think ill stick with my Godspeed bag for now.

That red leather is something else! A great way to get the wife/gf involved in your hobby!
This is never a bad thing! Enjoy your new bag.

Well I've been putting the bag through its paces here in NYC, and no one's managed to get their slippery hands into it to pull out a lens (and nothing came tumbling out of the bag and onto the pavement). And, as the photo shows, it survived a heavy wet snow flurry!

So I think it passed the big city test!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
Back