Would like help with sunpak mx112/Olympus Trip 35

oltri35

Local time
3:50 PM
Hi! I am slowly starting to get in to film photography with one of my grandparent's Olympus trip 35 and I also found a flash that came with it. Now I got it working and all but for the life of me (and this just might be because I am stupid) I cant figure out how I should be setting my aperture on my Olympus to match the designated distance shown on the flash (pic below). If anyone could help me understand it I would be ever grateful!
341740747_3470258276554471_3635845726035101533_n.jpg

Let's assume that your subject is at 3 meters/10 feet. Reading to the right the chart indicates different apertures to be used with different speed films:

- ASA (ISO) 25 requires F2;
- ASA (ISO) 100 requires F4; and
- ASA (ISO) 400 requires F8.

I hope this makes sense!

PS - You're not stupid! That chart isn't the easiest to make sense of for someone just starting out.

Last edited:
Determine the distance to your object. According to your ISO choose the right aperture from the chart on the flash.

Let's assume that your subject is at 3 meters/10 feet. Reading to the right the chart indicates different apertures to be used with different speed films:

- ASA (ISO) 25 requires F2;
- ASA (ISO) 100 requires F4; and
- ASA (ISO) 400 requires F8.

I hope this makes sense!

PS - You're not stupid! That chart isn't the easiest to make sense of for someone just starting out.
Oh my goodness gracious I see it now! Thank you so much you're a lifesaver!

Flash Photography was one of the hardest things I had to learn...working with a digital camera really helped as I got instant feedback and then I was able to create my own Flash Guide for my setup. Today I can get good exposures within a shot or two.

Oh my goodness gracious I see it now! Thank you so much you're a lifesaver!

Glad to help!

If you end up liking flash photography I'd recommend picking up a simple automatic flash. You set the aperture for the max distance from the camera according to the chart, and the flash automatically reduces output for shots taken at closer distances. The simple auto flashes I have can also be used manually at the flip of a switch.

- Greg -

Last edited:
Back