Would u believe 4 new Nex bodies..sorta..maybe

GaryLH

Mentor
Local time
10:47 AM
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/fou...ex-7nex-5-successor-low-entry-nex-and-nex-ff/

Well I gotta admit they are getting better w/ their lens lineup and their party vendors from Zeiss to Sigma have really help the lens lineup. The nex7 was a step in the right direction in terms of the issues w/ the UI I really dislike.

Sony is really churning out bodies like mad.... 3 for sure w/ the 4th one the ff a maybe. The nex7 maybe the oldest body right now, but the Nex 3 and 5 only had an update recently.

The good is that if they keep this up, u know when to pick up the next latest body during the inventory sell off :)

I am pretty happy w/ what I use now, so I don't intend to upgrade..Anytime soon. For me the Nex bodies represents the universal digital back for a lot of legacy lenses I still have.

Gary

I certainly don't feel the need to update my NEX-7 either. And I probably won't feel the need to sell it when they release the FF NEX also.

The NEX line of cameras presents an interesting option for photographers. And its becoming more interesting as time goes on. Perhaps its biggest shortfall when first released was the small range of lenses available for the marque.

But that is now changing. I recently had the option to buy (quite cheaply as it turns out due to having a voucher from the relevant store) a Sony 50mm f1.8 OSS for the NEX and find it to be a superb lens. Unfortuantely, its virtues are not well known even amongst NEX owners and hence it is overlooked by all and sundry.

For around $400 its performance and price point makes it a good buy. And of course there are now the other offerings from Sony, Zeiss and Sigma all of which have some fine performers (Yes even Sigma who have an excellent 30mm f2.8 macro lens that is highly valued for its performance if not for its build.)

Sony is also begining to address early design issues like lack of a built in flash no accessory shoe and in some variants it also now has a built in EVF.

The NEX series is also good as a camera that works well with legacy lenses and adapters. I have several adapters covering Canon FL/FD, Nikon, Leica M and M42 and use these lenses regularly on an NEX with those adapters. So much so that recently I bought a second NEX body and plan to use one permanently with an adapter for legacy lenses and the other with native lenses - particularly the 50mm I mentioned above. The first NEX I bought is an NEX 5 and the more recent aquisition an NEX F3. Despite the F3 theoretically being a bottom end camera I have to say it lacks for very little by comparison with the NEX 5 although clearly it is not as high end as the NEX 6 or 7. Never the less it performs well.

So, I now have two NEX bodies. Shhhhhhhh dont tell my wife!

I recently had the option to buy (quite cheaply as it turns out due to having a voucher from the relevant store) a Sony 50mm f1.8 OSS for the NEX and find it to be a superb lens. Unfortuantely, its virtues are not well known even amongst NEX owners and hence it is overlooked by all and sundry.

I too can vouch for the 50 1.8 OSS being a great, great lens. Sharp at all apertures from corner to corner. Plus the image stabilization makes sure that the shots don't suffer from camera shake.

The Sigma lenses are excellent as well, and even beat Leica lenses in a sharpness test, which blew my mind. They're a bit slow to focus, but if you're a photographer like me who isn't in a rush, they're perfect. And they're super cheap. I got the original versions of the 19 and 30 around Christmas 2011 for $99 apiece. I think the new versions can still be had for around $149. You can't beat that.

Back