Would yo buy a B&W only 16 BIT M9 ?

Would yo buy a B&W only 16 BIT M9 ?

• Yes, absolutely.

Votes: 71 14.4%
  • Yes, but only if it performs like B&W film.

Votes: 58 11.7%
  • Yes, but only if it costs 15-20% less than the standard M9.

Votes: 60 12.1%
  • No.

Votes: 305 61.7%

• Total voters
B&W = film

Colour = film/digital

Digital B&W is no close to film, the look has not been replicated yet.
Until then, I have no interest.

With some of the slick b&w conversion software available on the market, its virtually impossible to tell if the image is a digital conversion or film.

I go out of my way to process my film in such a way that it would not look like a digital b&w conversion. I think if people (at least fellow photographers) cannot say at first glance that the image was shot with film, then all the effort in film shooting is not really worth it. I also find it strange that film shooters still try their best to make their b&w film look like digital conversions, by keeping the grain in check and going for the classic clean b&w look... People who shoot digital and convert to b&w spend a lot of time adding grain and making the digital shot look gritty and like-film, while film shooters try to reduce grain in the film and keep their images nice and clean.

With some of the slick b&w conversion software available on the market, its virtually impossible to tell if the image is a digital conversion or film.

I go out of my way to process my film in such a way that it would not look like a digital b&w conversion. I think if people (at least fellow photographers) cannot say at first glance that the image was shot with film, then all the effort in film shooting is not really worth it. I also find it strange that film shooters still try their best to make their b&w film look like digital conversions, by keeping the grain in check and going for the classic clean b&w look... People who shoot digital and convert to b&w spend a lot of time adding grain and making the digital shot look gritty and like-film, while film shooters try to reduce grain in the film and keep their images nice and clean.
Possibly -- I'm not convinced -- but I for one can't afford a De Vere digital enlarger for printing on real photographic paper.

Cheers,

R.

Roger, there has been an anecdote by some photographer, using exclusively digital printing of doing comparison tests, where the test persons indeed did not believe, the prints were made digitally.

I can't remember though, who was it.

I for one fully believe in finding the right combination of paper, printer and software, to get a satisfying look, although wet printing is more alchemistic and romantic.

I voted No earlier, but it might be interesting and useful depending on the actual improvements in B&W image quality with such a dedicated camera.

I voted "Yes, absolutely" when I saw this poll.

I knew from the very beginning, since I used digital M bodies, that a true monochrome digital body was, what I actually wanted.

I am one of the few RFF users, always having described their ideal digital Leica M as:

Monochrome sensor with usable ISO 3200, no LCD screen and other digital crutches, manual advance lever, system expandable with digital Leicavit, including additional battery power and motor advance, smaller size than the bloated digital M bodies.

I pre-ordered a MM the moment, I heard about it's official announcement.

Since I use my MM, I hardly touch the M9 anymore, if I have a choice.

I wish the next generation MM comes even closer to my ideal digital Leica M.

Are you sure they will release another one?

If sales are any indication they probably will. Theres a waiting list and they are gone as soon as anyone gets them in unless you want to pay over 9K outta a place in Europe.

Yep, what the OP described was pretty much the MM

And I did buy a MM. It far exceeds my expectations....

Are you sure they will release another one?

My only perception is, that the current one is flying off the shelves and it's still very hard, to get a hold of one.

If Leica get's their new sensor supplier to deliver monochrome sensors at reasonable costs, surpassing the Kodak developed sensor in imaging quality, why not.

Unfortunately, I am very certain, that the rest of my list likely will never see the light of day except in the form of a one off Frankenstein body.

… mmmh - think about a black paint SS Leica M3 with Mono innards, M3 rangefinder, advance and … brace yourself … top 1/1000 speed and cloth shutter :D

My only perception is, that the current one is flying off the shelves and it's still very hard, to get a hold of one.

Weren't only 500 made? My understanding is that it's not that they are flying off the shelves, it's that Leica is delivering them to stores in a slow but steady stream.

If Leica get's their new sensor supplier to deliver monochrome sensors at reasonable costs, surpassing the Kodak developed sensor in imaging quality, why not.
niche of a niche? They kind of already made the ultimate purist's B&W digital M with this camera. the only thing left is to give the purists a flim crank and leave the screen out of the design. ;)

Weren't only 500 made? My understanding is that it's not that they are flying off the shelves, it's that Leica is delivering them to stores in a slow but steady stream.

My dealer is now getting three MM's a week. I'm currently number 4 on the list.

I suspect with so many other Leica cameras being released at almost the same time, M, ME as well as MM, that the stream on other lines might also be rather slow.

Cal

To elaborate, here s a quote from the Leica Q&A at lat Photokine (you may need Google Translate, sorry.)

Frage: Wird die M-Monochrom in Zukunft ein ständiger Bestandteil des M-Systems sein?

Stefan Daniel: Diese Baureihe mit dem Grundprinzip wollen wir beibehalten. Die Monochrom ist sehr erfolgreich, wir können uns vorstellen, dass es von einem neuen Modell auch eine Monochrom Variante geben wird. Die Kamera hat einen starken Suchtfaktor.

COOL looks like it is not just a fad. Maybe with others will join in. It was a bold move for Leica. Gotta love a company that has pair. I'm sure market research and other such things would have advised against it.

Stefan Daniel: Diese Baureihe mit dem Grundprinzip wollen wir beibehalten. Die Monochrom ist sehr erfolgreich, wir können uns vorstellen, dass es von einem neuen Modell auch eine Monochrom Variante geben wird. Die Kamera hat einen starken Suchtfaktor.

For anyone not speaking "Italian as a second language":
We will keep the series with this concept. The Monochrom is very successful, we can imagine that there will be a Monochrom version of a new series. This camera is highly addictive.

Back