Would you buy a full frame NEX and why?

You seem pretty self confident so I won't spoil your confidence. I would just advise you to do a little search on sensor glass cover thickness, AA filters, microlenses... etc. You may also want to search the difference in the corner performance with the same lenses between Nex 5N and 7, and add to that the GXR M module as an example for excellent performance. Let me know if you still believe the sensor has nothing to do with edge issues.

I *am* confident about this, it's not my first rodeo. What you describe has nothing to do with the sensor size. You describe issues that arise from using short registration lenses, particularly wide angles. Try the same sensor with a lens having a longer flange focal distance (such as a lens from a DSLR) and you'll see very different results.

Microlenses (as an example) were Leica's method of dealing with the problem of using certain of their lenses on the M9.

I *am* confident about this, it's not my first rodeo. What you describe has nothing to do with the sensor size. You describe issues that arise from using short registration lenses, particularly wide angles. Try the same sensor with a lens having a longer flange focal distance (such as a lens from a DSLR) and you'll see very different results.

Microlenses (as an example) were Leica's method of dealing with the problem of using certain of their lenses on the M9.

This problem is not limited to short registration lenses. For instance many DSLR lenses behave differently on different sensors from the same manufacturer. The Sony A900 and Nikon D3X are an example. The Nikon sensor cover is much thinner and its corner performance is much better with the same lenses. I won't argue further.

This problem is not limited to short registration lenses. For instance many DSLR lenses behave differently on different sensors from the same manufacturer. The Sony A900 and Nikon D3X are an example. The Nikon sensor cover is much thinner and its corner performance is much better with the same lenses. I won't argue further.

That's interesting, Edward. I hadn't heard about this difference between the A900 and D3x. Are there tests out there of this difference?

Edit : I have just done this and I have to eat humble pie. I can see where my thinking was incorrect. This is quite a revelation to me. Thanks for that. You just made me more likely to buy a camera!!

Why does a cropped 6x6 frame have less colour and/or greyscale rendition?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something?

Pete

It's all about the final output size. If you output a full 6x6 frame and cropped 6x6 to the same size, the full 6x6 frame will need less magnification and show better graduation than the more stressed crop frame.

In fact, output size needs to be stressed in this conversation. Until we know how big you're printing and how far away you're standing from the print, format differences are tough to predict.

Edit : I have just done this and I have to eat humble pie. I can see where my thinking was incorrect. This is quite a revelation to me. Thanks for that. You just made me more likely to buy a camera!!

Well sorry for the latter and the hit on your wallet, but kudos for actually going and trying things out. If everybody did that, the world would be a better place.

Why does a cropped 6x6 frame have less colour and/or greyscale rendition?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something?

It has to do with the amount of information present in a given area of film/sensor, the absolute area, and the amount by which you have to blow this up for the final print.

Grayscale and/or colour redition has to do with the amount of information present in your picture. It's a bit easier to show with B&W film, which is essentially binary - either there is a piece of black grain, or there isn't. In order to have grayscale, you need to have lots of these nodules next to each other, and you can't enlarge this too much because then the grayscale will dissolve again into grain. So when you have more surface area in your negative, you have more of these nodules available overall, and so you get finer grayscale rendition.

Enlarging leads to a loss of information per area, simply because the area increases while the information doesn't. So if you have a larger negative or sensor that allows you to enlarge less, you get better rendition.

Well then, if the sensor cover is thinner it really isn't the same sensor, is it? Assuming the sensor/cover are considered to be a complete package. And how much does software play into the equation?

I ask because I don't know & you seem to have some energy on the subject. :cool:

Well then, if the sensor cover is thinner it really isn't the same sensor, is it? Assuming the sensor/cover are considered to be a complete package. And how much does software play into the equation?

I ask because I don't know & you seem to have some energy on the subject. :cool:

The sensor is really only the silicon underneath. Sony, Nikon, Leica, Fuji and Ricoh all use Sony aps-c sensors, but the AA filter, CFA, and IR filter on top of the sensors vary between manufactures. So, that can lead to differences in detail, color, noise, etc.

Back