Wrong Title: Why We Missed This One

You need multiple book marked searches. I have separate searches for the Vintage section for Leica and Canon and then I filter from them if I am looking for something specific. No filter if I am just browsing.

About 6 years ago there was a guy at the 57th Street camera show on Sunday who had a mint Hong Qi Red Flag Chinese Leica M4 with all the lenses. I wanted one of those all my life and had never seen one in the flesh, I handled it and everything there.

He wanted $6000. I only had a couple of grand on me, so he agreed to wait while I took a cab home to get the money. I lived downtown.

I got back in exactly 50 minutes and he was GONE. I was horribly upset. I never saw him again or found out who got the Red Flag.

I think a 'buying price' of $16,000.00 is great for the seller. I've seen this in collectible fishing tackle. Fishing reels and plugs, wow!!

I'll readily admit to being a bit of a dope when it comes to serial numbers, but am i correct in thinking that this S-36 is very early? And doesn't the fact that it has a serial number at all make it kind of a big deal?

--c--

Winning bid: US $16,037.15

At this price it seems it did OK...

Black Nikon SP $6000
S36 motor with sardine pack and Jacobson $10,000.00

To get a Battery cable for $37.15

Price-less

The winning bidder must have had a much higher bid as it seems he went over his last bid twice.

Kiu

MikeL said:
Cale, how much do you think that one would have gone for with a correct title? Fred, Kiu?
I honestly haven't a clue, Mike... i'm certainly fascinated my the 'rarity vs. price' scenario, but am underinformed about most of the finer points. That said, i'd have thought quite a bit more, considering the relative rarity of this lens. I can't help but think that a little research and some better pics would have given it the requisite boost..

--c--

With S3 2000 and the SP2005 you would think Nikon would have made a few new S36 motors with cordless packs. The motors today are far better than what was available in 1957.

Designed corretly, they could also be used with vintage S3 & SP cameras. :)

Why didn't Nikon re-issue an improved S36 motor drive? :confused:

CameraQuest said:
no prob.
it takes all kinds of collectors.
some people even collect Canons .... just kidding Peter.

I can't afford one
but I drooled all over myself a few days ago
when I parked next to the
new "repro" Ford GT40.
hot damn.

Stephen

Stephen, I saw one twice just a block away in Prospect Heights Brooklyn, and also a Bentley 2-door on Eastern Parkway. No kidding.
But I'd rather have the S3, cause car insurance in NYC is just too high!
Cheers and Merry Christmas to all!

Back