x-Pro 2 and exposure compensation

Beemermark

Mentor
Local time
9:08 PM
The biggest hair pulling issue I have with the X-Pro2 is the exposure compensation dial. From the day (in film) the exposure compensation dial wa invented I have never used it. I never intentionally use it the X-Pro 2. BUT it is always off 0 giving me +/- exposure compensation. I'll shoot a whole series of shots only to find out when I review the pictures that the exposure is way off.

Has anybody figured out a way to keep it on 0/null/no compensation? I'm thinking of gluing it but would like to be able to remove the glue in case I ever decide to sell it. I have tried wedging little pieces of tooth picks under it to no avail.

I have had the same problem with my XP1 and XP2. Too many times, I have accidentally moved the dial. I wish it had a lock.

I have the same issue with my X-E2. I will be adding a dab of Blu-Tack between
the top cover and side of the dial. Blu-Tack will peel off when you want to
change the setting and reused to keep it in place.
It lasts forever.

I've thought of a lot of things but I'm afraid of cosmetically ruining the top. I've tried tape and wedging tooth picks between the body and dial. Has any body tried caulking? I think it should be possible to remove without de-figuring the top but afraid to try it.

Never had a problem with the exposure comp dial in any of my several fuji cameras. Strange.

I'd try a bit of gaffers tape to keep it from moving.

Never been an issue for me with 3 different Fuji's either.

If you haven't already done it turn on the analog and/or digital exposure compensation displays in the finder. That would at least give you a visual indication that it has shifted. If you are using the EVF and you have the camera display actual exposure you will see the change there directly.

Shawn

I had this issue with the Contax G1 focus dial, I heard that a shim can be installed by most any tech under that dial to make it stiffer to turn. Might be worth investigating that as a fix. I’d not had this happen with the XPro2 till this week. Still thinking it was simply user error in my case, not setting it back to 0.

Last edited:
I remember someone removing the EC dial and adding a rubber o-ring from a hardware, auto supply or plumbing store with an appropriate thickness to increase the force required to move the ring.

Maybe slicing an o-ring open with a razor blade and tucking it under the dial would work just as well? That's what I would try. I never use the EC dial, so an o-ring just thick enough to freeze movement would work for me.

I have owned 6 X-Series bodies and only experienced EC dial surprise a few times.

Recently I my X100T provided a series of unpleasant surprises involving the ND filter. I unwittingly configured the Q menu and controls to implement the ND filter. It turns out how I handled the camera would often invoke the ND filter. I changed the Q/controls options and the problem vanished.

I occasionally had this problem when I bought my first XPro1. I solved it with a Lensmate thumb rest. The Lensmate fits the camera perfectly and is hinged to swing out of the way so you can turn the shutter and ISO dials. Before I got the Lensmate, I tried the generic models and none of them worked as well for me. The biggest downsides of the Lensmate rest is that it costs $60 and you can't use on camera flash while using it. The flash thing is not an issue for me--I can't remember the last time I used a flash...probably in the 1990's.

A Postscript here: I had a problem with the diopter dial on my XP2's. Every time I tried to use the cameras, the eyepiece was out of focus because I had rubbed the diopter correction dial against something while putting it in or taking it out of the bag. I could care less about cosmetics so the upper left side of my XP2 cameras have big hunks of gaffer's tape covering the corners. If you don't want to spend the $ for the Lensmate, just tape over the exposure compensation dial with gaffer's tape. It holds well and doesn't leave any sticky residue like electrical tape or duct tape.

Back