X-Pro 2 or M 262?

John,

The XP2 frame lines are like the XP1 but with a few differences. The XP2s are more accurate. When in MF mode with a Fuji lens the frame lines adjust for parallax and size as you focus the lens, on the XP1 they only jump into position when you half shutter press. The XP2 also has the function where you can display all common frame lines that some find useful.

And of course the XP1 does not have the ERF mode of the XP2, that is a huge difference and allows for MF of adapted lens while still using the optical view finder for framing.

Shawn

Now that I have my own X-Pro2 and a 23mm f/1.4 lens, I see that the view through the X-Pro2's OVF is substantially smaller than the view through a Leica M viewfinder with a 35mm lens. The X-Pro2 shows the 0.38x magnification with this lens and it is "a lot smaller", as shawn accurately told me above. I can't say that it is comfortable or nice. But I guess it is one of the compromises one has to make in order to get the X-Pro2's advantages (autofocus + much lower cost + EVF option built in). Perhaps the larger 0.60x magnification with a 35mm lens will be more comfortable, if I buy a 35mm lens, although I'm hoping to use the 23mm as my main lens.

Now that I have my own X-Pro2 and a 23mm f/1.4 lens, I see that the view through the X-Pro2's OVF is substantially smaller than the view through a Leica M viewfinder with a 35mm lens. The X-Pro2 shows the 0.38x magnification with this lens and it is "a lot smaller", as shawn accurately told me above. I can't say that it is comfortable or nice. But I guess it is one of the compromises one has to make in order to get the X-Pro2's advantages (autofocus + much lower cost + EVF option built in). Perhaps the larger 0.60x magnification with a 35mm lens will be more comfortable, if I buy a 35mm lens, although I'm hoping to use the 23mm as my main lens.

Have you tried to use the larger magnification? Or is that too big? (Slide the evf/ovf lever to the right and hold it for some seconds)

Have you tried to use the larger magnification? Or is that too big? (Slide the evf/ovf lever to the right and hold it for some seconds)

Yes, I have tried. It is too big. I completely lose the frame lines and a substantial part of the frame, especially as an eyeglass wearer. It's definitely not a Leica-like experience with a 35mm-equivalent lens. The X-Pro2 optical viewfinder may be perfectly fine (or even superior) with other focal lengths, but sort of fails with the 23mm (35mm equiv.) which I regard as a core focal length. It is usable, but small. I will probably stick with it as a Leica is not in my budget and I do appreciate the autofocus.

I certainly understand this issue. 35mm on an M is just perfect. 35 on the X-Pro is equally satisfying.

I use a 25 on my X-Pro sometimes and I've gotten pretty used to it and actually enjoy having the extra view outside the framelines.

But it would be a shame to change from your preferred lens because of the way a VF works – kind of like putting the cart before the horse. And I agree the higher magnification with wide lenses is not realistic. I wonder if there's an eyepiece magnifier solution that would help you.

John

I wonder if there's an eyepiece magnifier solution that would help you.

John

On the XP1 almost certainly doable, on the XP2 almost certainly not.

Depending on ones need for a ILC, perhaps one of the X100 range and the TC/WC might of been more suited to 35eqv use?

I have the 27mm lens and although perfectly usable, it is a bit in between OVF magnifications, although sometimes the extra space is useful

If there are times when you want the larger view you have two options.

First, use the higher magnification view but also turn on the ERF mode with full framing in it. You might like that option, you might hate it.

Second, use the EVF. As it will use the entire FOV it will be larger. The EVF in the XP2 is quite good and can work very well.

These sorts of options is what is so nice about the hybrid viewfinder.

Shawn

Thanks to all for your ideas. The higher magnification OVF with the ERF feels really awkward. But the EVF by itself is fine. So for those times when the smaller magnification OVF feels too small, I will just switch to the EVF. Yes, the hybrid viewfinder is definitely a good thing — and much easier/faster than the Leica add-on EVF.

If you have 18 Leica lens, and if you intend to use them, I would go for Leica. Using those Leica M lens on cropped sensor is some kind of waste - imho.
Or sell some of those lens - only keeping the most loved ones, go Fuji.
Personally I have never been satisfied the results with Leica lens on Fuji. But Fuji body with Fuji native lens produces very nice images, although I still prefer the M9 output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back