X Pro , a step too far ?

Are you seriously saying that the M9 and DF are similar? In what way? If anything, I'd say the DF is exactly like the 'digi box' you refer to while the XP1 is much closer to the M9.

Dee - Set the aperture on lens, set shutter speed on dial, set ISO in-camera (you can always assign the Fn button on the top plate for an ISO shortcut) on the XP1 and you're good to go. Exact same process as on a digital M. With the XP1 you have the benefit of framing via the OVF and frame lines or the EVF with the flip of the front switch. Or, if you prefer the rear LCD with the press of a single button on the rear of the camera. Not sure how anyone coming from a film camera would have any difficulty with a Fuji. Once you set it up the way you like it, you really never even need to dive back into the menus.

I agree with Matt on this, especially with the XP1. With all digital cameras, its pretty easy to get lost in the menus... if you choose to go there. But with the XPro1, you can live without nearly all the menu items. Pick a film simulation you like and from then on all necessary adjustments are just like film body. And the XP1 offers a HUGE benefit over a film body... adjustable ISO! With a film body, you're stuck with one ISO rating until you swap out the film. With XP1, assign ISO adjustment to one of the external function buttons and you'll never need to delve into the menus again. :)

FWIW I find the XP1 best in MF mode, and OVF with focus peaking

Move the focus box to where you need it in the frame

Press in the rear command dial, the OVF swaps to a magnified view of where ever you left the focus box, if necessary at this point move the camera to get what you need in the focus box

Press the AF-L button to engange a focus run, if focus misses, focus manually

Half press the shutter, view returns to the OVF

Shoot.

You just did what a M240 user needs to move their eye between 2 different view finders to do, whilst also adjusting for parallax and 100% confirmed focus

And the only thing you moved was your thumb (and shutter button finger)

No face detect, no wide auto tracking AF, no EVF lag, no problems putting the magnified focus box anywhere in the frame.

It doesn't get much easier or more accurate. Of course a newer digital camera can do that faster, but no AF is 100% reliable

Of course a Leica can do that without needing your thumb, but it can't move the focus point around the frame (not even the 240 with the EVF)

To speed the process up a bit, try to pre-visualise the shot ahead of time and move the focus box into the correct place as you raise the camera to your eye.

Don't fret about jpeg film simulations, and jpg settings... Just shoot raw (plus jpg) then later, usually when you're having a break and in a cafe or something, use the in camera raw convertor to try out whether you like Velvia, Astia etc and do you like it with shadows +1 or -2 etc etc

IMO the XP1 may not offer speed, but very few cameras have quite that much simplicity and functionality in the same package.

The Leicas gain some simplicity, but lose some accuracy, the other digital cameras gain some speed, but add complexity.

I With XP1, assign ISO adjustment to one of the external function buttons and you'll never need to delve into the menus again. :)

That is very good information to know and I'll be assigning an external function button to ISO as soon as I finish this post. I had been going into the menu to change ISO and it was very frustrating, in addition to taking much longer than it should, on my last shoot. There were such varying light conditions on that shoot that it would have been a lot easier to just go to the function button to change ISO.

That is very good information to know and I'll be assigning an external function button to ISO as soon as I finish this post. I had been going into the menu to change ISO and it was very frustrating, in addition to taking much longer than it should, on my last shoot. There were such varying light conditions on that shoot that it would have been a lot easier to just go to the function button to change ISO.

Don't fear Auto ISO either. You set minimum shutter speed and the max ISO you want and the camera will do the rest with in full Auto exposure mode.

If you are shooting shutter priority (Aperture set to A, you set shutter) the camera will adjust ISO as needed based on your set shutter speed.

In full manual mode the camera will set the ISO based on your combination of shutter speed and aperture selected. On the XP1 the downside of this setup is that the exposure compensation has no effect.

Shawn

Can you share your favorite links where you get information for the XPro1?

You have it backwards, Google is the website.

If you have a question (e.g., "how to change ISO on X pro 1", "how to set minimum shutter speed in aperture priority on x pro 1", "x pro 1 tips and tricks", etc.) type it in, you'll get thousands of answers instantly.

Maybe I am a bit stuffed cos the 27mm does not have an aperture ring, so is otherwise from the M8.
I also went into the M8 knowing all the parameters whereas the Fuji was a bargain basement once only £168 body plus 27mm via eBay , not the easiest entry into a professional camera !!
dee

Google "how to change aperture on 27mm 2.8".

Compared to any other typical "professional" camera, the x pro 1 probably is the easiest entry. I don't meant to come across as rude, but seriously, read the manual, google the questions, there's no problem on any digital camera that doesn't take literally seconds to solve.

I guess there is history due to slowness and others putting me down ,in family situation is exaggerated .Went. out early just trying out various settings as if with M8 . Dee termined to use manual , familar with A35 50mm.
Accepted that there will be duff shots , but loving the camera to persist with EVF at present .
Thanks to everyone , panicked over for now !!
dee

You have it backwards, Google is the website.

Actually, I don't have it backwards at all. Silly you for thinking that.

I was asking for links you have used in the past, perhaps with a lot of information on the XPro1 that would be helpful to me. I have mastered the D700 and the M9 among other cameras (both digital and film), but the XPro1 is fairly new to me, thus my request for useful links.

If you have a question (e.g., "how to change ISO on X pro 1", "how to set minimum shutter speed in aperture priority on x pro 1", "x pro 1 tips and tricks", etc.) type it in, you'll get thousands of answers instantly.

I can see where asking specific questions, as you have indicated above, could be very useful, that is NOT what I was asking.

Don't fear Auto ISO either. You set minimum shutter speed and the max ISO you want and the camera will do the rest with in full Auto exposure mode.

Years ago I went to a class on using a Nikon DSLR and the instructor said to the class "Don't ever use Auto ISO!!" I guess I internalized his warning and I've been hesitant to use it in the years since then.

But I really should get over my mental block against using Auto ISO because I can see how it can be very useful. Thanks for pointing it out.

I was also invited to a Leica Academy workshop for M8 in London .
Restricted to mono ,dull day but I did reasonably well. compared to the class .
The sole restriction on excellent photos is my lack of confidence ,certainly not equipment .
I do NOT need another camera , there is somthing about the Fuji system which is uniquely appealing and work persistence with my unreasoned bargain purchase .
I am not going to cash it in after a month or so .
dee

No, you still do. Search engines are the index of the internet. Even if someone gives you a website with a lot of information (e.g. fuji x forum, RFF, etc.) they're typically so large that you're far better off accessing them via a search engine anyway. Virtually every relevant thread in these forums, blog post, or article is already search indexed for your convenience. GIYF.

nonfuspring
Thanks I shall check out Google but thanks for your patience all through were I at home , it would be Dee fervent lol .
Dee

Those "digiboxes" are very easy to set up. I have zero problem using my Sony and Canon digital cameras. It is easy:
What's to learn? It has a shutter button, aperture and speed controls, ISO setting, what else do you need?
Just walk through the menu and set things the way you like. If you're uncertain how to set it, just Google it. Easy.

Their might be a learning curve, but the first time you guys picked up a manual camera you were overwhelmed - try to load film into any manual camera without prior knowledge or a manual. Impossible.

Can you share your favorite links where you get information for the XPro1?

Thanks.

Ellen

Well, I did that once and my post was deleted. I guess the problem was those links were on another Forum. I was never informed how come my post disappeared. Just spend 15 minutes doing some searches.

This post is not a complaint or criticism. RFF costs money to run, so sending people to competing Forum is counterproductive.

Years ago I went to a class on using a Nikon DSLR and the instructor said to the class "Don't ever use Auto ISO!!" I guess I internalized his warning and I've been hesitant to use it in the years since then.

But I really should get over my mental block against using Auto ISO because I can see how it can be very useful. Thanks for pointing it out.

Auto-ISO is convenient. This is auto-ISO's single advantage. However anytime ISO is higher than it really needs to be IQ will decrease. Increasing ISO via auto-ISO decreases exposure when the shutter is open. Decreasing exposure decreases the signal. Yet the electronic noise remains constant. The dynamic range and shadow detail suffer as signal-to-noise ratio decreases.

So, the trade-off is convenience vs. the best IQ possible. Sometimes convenience and spontaneity is more important... sometimes it's not.

I was asking for links you have used in the past, perhaps with a lot of information on the XPro1 that would be helpful to me. I have mastered the D700 and the M9 among other cameras (both digital and film), but the XPro1 is fairly new to me, thus my request for useful links.

I can see where asking specific questions, as you have indicated above, could be very useful, that is NOT what I was asking.

Good X-Pro1 websites?

Well Dante Stella (member here) *ahem* mine, also any book/forum post/blog post by Rico Pfirstinger.

Personally I'd start with the stuff by Rico.

Ask questions here too, people will help you!

How is it more overwhelming to use a manual camera vs a digital camera? Set aperture on the lens, shutter speed on the dial. DONE! Only potential hiccup might be ISO that, depending on the camera, you would need to dive into a menu. With 'digiboxes', let's take a look at the Canon 5Diii for example. Someone new to the camera or brand would have no idea how to change either of those settings without reading the manual or playing around with the camera. They're extremely easy to use when you know what dials do what, but they're not intuitive for a new user. This is coming from someone who shot with Canon cameras for over a decade.

Your response of 'if you're uncertain how to set it, just google it. easy' works both ways....

This conversation also isn't about film cameras, t's about Fuji cameras (and in some instances, Leica digital cameras).

Those "digiboxes" are very easy to set up. I have zero problem using my Sony and Canon digital cameras. It is easy:
Just walk through the menu and set things the way you like. If you're uncertain how to set it, just Google it. Easy.

Their might be a learning curve, but the first time you guys picked up a manual camera you were overwhelmed - try to load film into any manual camera without prior knowledge or a manual. Impossible.

Older cameras also had much worse DR (high ISO performance) compared to todays cameras. If you set up auto ISO well it isn't going to do anything you wouldn't really do yourself. Need to keep 1/30 of a second shutter speed... once you opened the lens up as much as you can you would then have to move to increasing ISO. Auto ISO will do the same thing, just much quicker than you would.

Shawn

Back