X-Pro to X-Pan...?

Catto

Photographer
Local time
3:39 AM
Just starting rumours here, but I'd been thinking about this for a while and wrote about it on my blog - since Fuji were behind the original X-Pan / TX series of cameras, I can't see any reason why they couldn't adapt the new Hybrid Optical Viewfinder to suit that format. But I can see a really GOOD reason why they should!
http://robertcatto.com/2012/06/why-...most-awesome-cameras-of-all-time-yo-all-time/

Just throwing it out there -
R!

Unlikely with the sweep panoramic function of the X-Pro1 and X100, both of which can shoot a 180 (which the X-Pan cannot). The X-Pan can do things in one shot, but for what a digital version would cost with a custom sensor, most people will learn to use tripods.

Dante

Oh you had to bring this up. I would be in. I use the pan mode in my x pro now, but I still would purchase one of these.

Unlikely with the sweep panoramic function of the X-Pro1 and X100, both of which can shoot a 180 (which the X-Pan cannot). The X-Pan can do things in one shot, but for what a digital version would cost with a custom sensor, most people will learn to use tripods.

Nice to see a few other people intrigued by the concept as well - but just to touch on this aspect of it - Dante, I'm not sure you read to the end of the blog post? I know it's a bit outside the purview of this site's usual discussions, but my argument was based partly on the idea that the camera would shoot 2.8:1 format HD Video, giving cinematographers an amazing new tool - and something a sweep panorama or 5D couldn't provide. That, to me, is what would make this an immensely popular camera with a certain market.

Aside from that, sweep panos are great for landscapes that aren't moving; but introduce people, wind, water, vehicles, birds...then, a single-frame panorama capture wins. That's always been my issue with them, as I live in a windy harbour city!

And so far, every Fuji X-series sensor has been a 'custom' sensor for that camera anyway, right? This one will just be bigger...

Cheers for the comments, everyone -
R!

I'm in Robert a digital Xpan would be irresistible. Especially if somehow we could use existing lenses and like current Xpan you could shoot 35mm equivalent and Pano.

Back