X-Pro1 - full manual - aperture blades vs GH2 - observation

Local time
12:17 AM
Test conditions:

Focus - manual to keep the lens from racking back and forth

Speed - manual, find what gives you proper exposure at f/5.6

Aperture - manual, you will be changing this as you watch the blades

Tip - I have the camera sitting on my lap pointing over my shoulder so I can observe the blades

Results:

GH2 w/ 20mm - As I change the aperture from f/1.7 to f/16 I can see the blades closing. When I stop changing the aperture, the blades stop moving and hold that position.

X-Pro1 w/ 35mm - As I change the aperture from f/1.4 to f/16 the blades do not close, they stay wide open. They only start closing with a half press of the shutter, then return to wide open after release. There is some inconsistency after release. Sometimes they return to full open, other times they partially open, other times they partially open, pause, then fully open.

Thoughts: I think this is part of the 'slow AF' issue. Since it's in MF it's actually not an AF issue, it's a 'slow aperture/exposure' issue.

It would seem that this behavior could be fixed in firmware.

Also, it's not histogram related as the histogram works fine in the GH2 under these conditions.

For the GH2, were you using the LCD or the normal viewfinder?

And what about the x-pro1?

I know for Canon SLRs, the blade does not change when you change the aperture manually on the camera. Note: on the camera, not on the lens.

The behavior the OP describes also causes significant shutter lag that makes the camera less suited for street photography for the time being.
It's a shame really. A camera that looks and operates like a street camera but fails for critical street work, all because of the shutter lag caused by the described behavior. I don't know who else releases a camera with such software related problems..

If we are just talking about the closing of aperture blades, then that doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless the closing of aperture blades takes longer than normal, which would be a mechanical issue.

Almost all Canon EF lenses closes their aperture blades to the appropriate setting when you have fully pressed the shutter button, not even half, but fully.

I don't think aperture blades are the cause of slow AF.

The behavior the OP describes also causes significant shutter lag that makes the camera less suited for street photography for the time being.
It's a shame really. A camera that looks and operates like a street camera but fails for critical street work, all because of the shutter lag caused by the described behavior. I don't know who else releases a camera with such software related problems..

yes the x100 had shutter lag as well but i managed to work around it just fine for street. you cant beat the price x iq x high iso of the x series cameras though imo.

Back