X-Pro2 with handheld meter?

Landberg

Well-known
Local time
9:10 AM
Hi!
I have heard that the Fuji X series don't expose the same as other cameras. So if i would use a handheld meter it will not give the right exposure? I'm used to work with a handheld meter but sold it with my last Leica, i'm missing to shoot that way and want to try it with my x-pro2. But before i buy a new meter i was wondering if it will "work"?

Thanks!

Even if it doesn't translate exactly, it'll still be consistent (even if off by a 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop). Should be easy to compensate for.

I'm curious?

I'm curious?

Dear Landberg,

I'm not being critical here but I do have to ask.

Why would you buy an automatic camera that offers full manual control and then decide that the camera's metering capabilities don't work?

I understand the idea of being in control but to me at least it seems like a waste of a camera?

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :)

Dear Landberg,

I'm not being critical here but I do have to ask.

Why would you buy an automatic camera that offers full manual control and then decide that the camera's metering capabilities don't work?

I understand the idea of being in control but to me at least it seems like a waste of a camera?

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :)

I guess it's just an old habit.. when I owned the M9 I used a handheld light meter to. I just shoot that way. I bought the X-Pro because I wanted a camera that has all the controls on the outside of the camera (can't afford the M10) I like to set my camera even when it isn't on, so that I am always prepared. To do that I use the sunny16 or a handheld meter. I don't use anything more than the ISO, shutter dial and aperture ring (so I need it to be outside the camera). I know that there is so much more to a modern digital camera but I don't need more.

That makes perfect sense to me - you should be scared

That makes perfect sense to me - you should be scared

I guess it's just an old habit.. when I owned the M9 I used a handheld light meter to. I just shoot that way. I bought the X-Pro because I wanted a camera that has all the controls on the outside of the camera (can't afford the M10) I like to set my camera even when it isn't on, so that I am always prepared. To do that I use the sunny16 or a handheld meter. I don't use anything more than the ISO, shutter dial and aperture ring (so I need it to be outside the camera). I know that there is so much more to a modern digital camera but I don't need more.

Dear Landberg,

Thank you for the explanation. It's obvious that old habits die hard for many people.

Take care and I hope you find a meter you're comfortable with using.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

You say you have already purchased the XPro2. Presumably you have attempted to use it in manual mode using Sunny 16 or your hand held meter. It sounds like you are in the best position to know whether it works or not. So does it? My guess is that you'll find that Sunny 16 isn't all that accurate and the XPro2 will get the blame.

You say you have already purchased the XPro2. Presumably you have attempted to use it in manual mode using Sunny 16 or your hand held meter. It sounds like you are in the best position to know whether it works or not. So does it? My guess is that you'll find that Sunny 16 isn't all that accurate and the XPro2 will get the blame.

Yeah when using sunny 16 it is a bit off. At first i thought that digital is more sensitive than film and that i need to be more spot on.

Hi!
I have heard that the Fuji X series don't expose the same as other cameras. So if i would use a handheld meter it will not give the right exposure? I'm used to work with a handheld meter but sold it with my last Leica, i'm missing to shoot that way and want to try it with my x-pro2. But before i buy a new meter i was wondering if it will "work"?

Thanks!

For the record, I have never found my xpro1 or xpro2 to expose incorrectly. The histogram in the viewer has always produced the images I wanted and have been nice. Was the person who told you they expose oddly a non Fuji user?

For the record, I have never found my xpro1 or xpro2 to expose incorrectly. The histogram in the viewer has always produced the images I wanted and have been nice. Was the person who told you they expose oddly a non Fuji user?

Yes! When using the camera in aperture-mode or p-mode the camera does good exposure, also with the histogram. It just does not sync with a light meter.

Exposure that was all over the place and not being able to use an external meter was one of the reasons I got rid of the xpro1. Fuji iso isn't what it should be. You cannot compensate with a single value as the compensation is different for each iso setting.

Exposure that was all over the place and not being able to use an external meter was one of the reasons I got rid of the xpro1. Fuji iso isn't what it should be. You cannot compensate with a single value as the compensation is different for each iso setting.

Thats what i am afraid off.

Fuji iso isn't what it should be.

Thats exactly the point, Fuji's are always around 1 stop off, so if the internal meter (as also other cameras) show ISO 100, the Fuji's shows ISO 200 for the same aperture settings. Probably a little marketing trick to get good DXO ratings.

No issue if you shoot with the internal meter in sense of correct exposure, but with external metering you should compensate.

Yogi

Back