X1 Today--Using 36mm Finder

wjlapier

Well-known
Local time
12:41 PM
Hey folks. I picked up a nice copy of a Leica X1. Pretty nice all around with the exception of the battery latch--seems to be a problem for the X series. I recently also purchased a 36mm finder. For those of you who used the X1/2 with the finder how did you setup the camera to assure mostly in focus images?

I did reach out to David Elwell for a replacement latch but without it the battery still makes contact with the door closed.

Pretty nice little camera. Focus isn't as slow as I thought it would be after reading some reviews. Images so far look pretty good. I'm curious to see how this compares with a Fuji X-T1 and 23mm f/2 lens--pretty stellar combo imo.

And I'd like to know how it compares to my X100. I've read good things about the X1 color performance. I do like the viewfinder of the X100, though. I'd be giving that up with the X1. I know about the 36mm finder, but I really like the display in the X100 finder.

I still use my X1 bought I think about 8-9 years ago. I just have a small piece of gaffer tape to keep the battery door closed and the battery in it’s place, it is not necessary but I believe it helps not to force too much the door.
As focus I use the single point at the center, it works well in my opinion after some use it is not difficult to guess in the VF where the center is, focus an eventually recompose.
The small X1 can be a great small camera!

Bill,

Just passing through and see where you bought an X1.:)

Excellent!

There is no real problem setting it up, very easy. Single area and use AF or MF. It may be a little slow for some but one can always work around that and the resulting images will be well worth it. Still carrying and using mine for nearly 8 months years now. It resides in my Hadley Pro with a Medium Format (Digital) and is perfect for my personal work while the MFD is for paid work.

I will keep it forever, and only would replace it with an M10, when I win the lottery!:cool:

My battery latch broke years ago... who cares anyway, LOL!

Never had the latch issue.

Never really had a bad photo come out of it.

The AF is plenty good and plenty quick for slow or immobile subjects.

For the fast stuff I would stop down and set focus manually to 3-4 feet and go.

I owned two over the years. Wonderful little cameras. Enjoy!

And I'd like to know how it compares to my X100. I've read good things about the X1 color performance. I do like the viewfinder of the X100, though. I'd be giving that up with the X1. I know about the 36mm finder, but I really like the display in the X100 finder.

One of the biggest differences between the X1 and your X100 is the viewfinder. Sharpness between the two I think is similar though the X1 ( I think ) does have the AA filter. This was through the 36mm finder, but others I shot weren't so sharp so I have to figure out what caused those to be less so.

Back