X100 1.20 Firmware update (this is a big one!)

Fuji USA returned my camera yesterday after upgrading the firmware to 1.13, not 1.20. They had it to replace the lens assembly because of the sticky aperture problem.

The repair and 1.13 firmware upgrade was Tuesday, 3/20/12. Possibly Fuji wants the 1.20 upgrade to be user choice for some time period until they are sure of no hidden problems.

Thanks to Fuji USA for having no problems with me telling them I had no warranty card or proof of purchase as I bought the camera used.

Ok, so I just did some low light AF testing in my dark house at night. I found the darkest I could fairly reliably get a lock on low contrast objects was iso 6400, f2, 1/8th. The light and contrast was so low that I was struggling to see the subject I was trying to focus on through the OVF. At this level, as long as there was a line of contrast in the subject ( for instance brown/grey books on a white wooden table, extremely low contrast, no light source within 5 meters or so), I could get a lock. I don't have my 5d with me, but I'm pretty sure it would have lower AF lock success rate in this condition. If it could lock, it would be after about 2-3 seconds of racking the lens in And out to try to find contrast. By comparison in this light the x100 takes about half a second, never any longer.

So yeah, first impression is that low light AF is now mighty impressive on the x100.

wow. way to go bob.
courtesy of my techno-savvy bride, mine is updated to 1.2
here is a shot from a few minutes ago, handheld, macro, f2.8, iso 250, very cloudy:
DSCF0017rffsize.jpg

focus is much snappier, very little hunting, which had been an issue on macro.

If only the new firmware allowed for custom shutter sounds.. like the Leica thump.. maybe the next version..

Didn't you already have one of these Keith? :p

Yes as we all know .... I did. Define irony for me! :D

But it went to a good home and a worthy recipient! :)

If this improvement in AF performance doesn't turn out to be pie in the sky stuff I see little reason not to own one at the sort of prices they go for used. Not to mention I actually have the money to buy one now due to a complete change in my financial situation. The Xpro seems attractive but a body and three lenses is up around the three grand mark .... for that sort of money I could get the D800.

So many cameras ... so little time! :p

I'm amped to get it back from Fuji and try the new update...had to send it in to get some electrical-power issues looked at :(

Is anyone having issues with using the AFL button in MF mode? I have been reading a number of reports on other forums where the AFL function is very erratic and close to useless after the update. This is of concern to me as I use the AFL button to focus about 50% of the time, so I'm a bit worried about updating the firmware until more reports come in.

Then again, if Fuji really has messed with the AFL function in MF mode, the outcry will be enough to get them to fix it with another update!

Edit half an hour later: I took the plunge and installed it anyway. I'm very pleased. AF is faster and more accurate, and the AFL function in MF mode works better than before! I just took a series of photos in very dim light using AFL focusing and it was faster to lock on. Nice. Thanks, Fuji!

Archiver

I too found the AFL/AFE MF mode works better. There was a change I think. I used the new ~5X zoom to relearn how to move the focus box around to compensate for parallax shift (lower right for closer objects).

The AFS performance is improved too.

I'm very pleased with the new firmware.

Willie, I just use the automatic parallax correct function. Why do you do it manually?

I'm very pleased with the new firmware.

Willie, I just use the automatic parallax correct function. Why do you do it manually?

I was discussing MF mode. Parallax compensation is available in AFS mode.

In MF mode the camera does not focus when you take a picture so it is possible to focus and recompose. In AFS mode the camera will change focus when you take a picture unless you press the AEL/AFL button to disable AF when the shutter button is pressed. This makes focus and recompose a bit trickier.

After update to 1.20 the MF with AEL-button does not work correctly with my X100. Sometimes the focus info and also focusing is very much wrong.

after updating to 1.20 mine started to become a bit erratic on exposures... quite a bummer. i hope it gets fixed soon

Back