• They look too similar to me

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ferider

Mentor
Local time
10:14 PM
Same boring scene taken with X100s (1/500, f5.6) and M240 with VM Ultron 35/1.7 (1/250, f8), both at ASA 200. Naked Fuji (no filter), UV/IR filter on the Ultron - because this is how I shoot the two. I shot at different apertures to make the DOF equivalent. Focus is on the center fork of the tree.

Raw files imported into LR, exported as TIF without any changes. Then straightened the horizon, slight crop (my Ultron is actually a 37mm lens), and resized to 2000 pixel max. width.

Which is which ? (click on picture if you want to see enlarged)

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Roland.

I voted for the 240 as the first. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if I was wrong. Thinking slightly better detail in the first as a result of full frame vs. Crop.

How as WB set? If both are 'as shot' can you set them both to Daylight? Sorta looks like WB differed between the two (looking at cloud) which would also alter the colors somewhat.

Thanks,

Shawn

I voted for the 240 as the first. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if I was wrong. Thinking slightly better detail in the first as a result of full frame vs. Crop.

It is always interesting to see everyones different interpretations on shots like these. To me the second looks sharper and more detailed.

Shawn

I voted #2 as the 240 because of the warmer color, but the field of view of #2 seems to be wider, which makes me think it could be the x100, which is a little wider than 35mm as I recall. Or am I thinking of the RX1?

Well, what this is evaluating is essentially the difference in raw file format interpretation (and perhaps in scaling from 16MP or 24MP to 3MP). Not much of the cameras left there, apart from the variation in white balance bias.

I have both of these cameras as well. What a testament to the progress the sensors have made, and the fuji as a cropped sensor compared to the full frame. You could have put either one up alone, and stated they were shot with....XXX...and without any comparator, we would appreciate the image.

Judging by the manner in which foliage turns to fuzz (left side of the picture), I'll say the first is the X100s.

The color representation in the second photograph is not appealing, IMHO, but what do I know-- I'm a B&W guy....

I'll go with the second image being the 240 because of the slightly warmer tones ... the 240's WB has this tendency IMO. And there is a little more detail in the second shot to my old eyes which indicates a slightly better lens and larger sensor.

The second is definitely the superior image IMO and I will be mightily disappointed if that turns out to be the Fuji. :D

Nbr 2 seems sharper in some fine detail (e.g. top of telephone pole, leaves in bottom right).

Don't have enough knowledge about either to say, but as it's caucus time here in Iowa, I'm going with Nbr 2 being the Leica/Ultron combo.

B2 (;->

My selection is that the Fuji X100s is number 01 and the Leica (Typ 240) is number 02... the Leica 240 as it's a bit darker directly out of the camera. I ignore the 1.4% difference in data size.

However it turns out, for anyone who only posts on the web, the Fuji may be a "good" choice.

Casey

I'm guessing Fuji number 1, Leica number 2 as well, mainly from the warmer colours and greater (apparent?) sharpness in 2

Don't have enough knowledge about either to say, but as it's caucus time here in Iowa, I'm going with Nbr 2 being the Leica/Ultron combo.

And just like it will happen in Iowa, it appears the vote is changing depending on who posts what in the thread, Bill (= exit poll) :)

Both cameras were shot with Auto WB. You all carry on ...

Back