• by f8

Votes: 41 13.1%
  • by f11

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • it never really gets that sharp

Votes: 35 11.2%

• Total voters
Good points David...as usual :) and

jrose125, I agree the RF patch can be dim and dimmer as my two show. The one is better (less dim) than the other but that would certainly be something along with the seal to look at when picking one of these up.

My XA surprised me with its sharpness at all apertures - I've critically focused with it wide open and was not disappointed.

My XA2, which I bought new in 1981 - decades before my used XA - needs to be f/5.6 or smaller.

Years ago I was putting the lens on my M2 when I realised that the Summaron and M2 had the same spec (apart from the electronics) as the XA. So I put a film in both duplicated every shot and took the films in together for a pack on 5 x 7's. Here they are:-

Photo%2005A-L.jpg

Photo%2005B-L.jpg

Afterwards I wondered why I bothered with the M2 but we all know the answer to that.

As for the XA2:-

Photo%2005%20%2B-XL.jpg

it's great for travelling light.

Regards, David

Last edited:
To me, the problem isn't the LENS itself, but the camera's compact design, which puts the lens so close to the film that it vignettes and gets soft in the corners.

The Rollei 35 (Tessar) blows it away and it's probably not as good of a lens, technically speaking. I don't have any of my old XA photos left to compare.

In case the guy is still around that can't keep an XA working, I think the trick is to buy one, get it serviced, and with regular use, it should keep going for 20+ years. Sitting idle kills cameras.

Actually, I like the vignetting. It's one of my favorite features since I got mine in about 1984.

I totally agree... sitting idle kills cameras. That reminds me, I have to exercise about a dozen cameras. I've been using only my iPhone since the lockdown began. I need to get out and shoot some film.

Scott

Back