XPAN Prices Going sky-high!

Rob-F

Likes Leicas
Local time
2:52 PM
Every time I look, people are asking another thousand dollars for the XPAN. The strange thing is that it started happening after it was announced that repair services would no longer be available. Not to mention that film prices are going through the roof as well. Since there are other ways to take a panoramic shot, it seems like a strange development. The prices are getting up into, and surpassing, that of of high resolution digital cameras that, with good wide angle lenses, can probably surpass the IQ of the XPAN. The D850 and the M10, or even the M typ 240 come to mind.

Maybe some photographers actually need an XPAN for their work; but for others, the price surge seems irrational, perhaps based on fear or greed (like the stock market).

What do you think?

Aside from a cropped 100 MP medium format image, it'd be hard to duplicate the double frame Xpan format as its lens essentially delivers a 6x7 horizontal image.

It's price is what the market will bear. It, and the Fujifilm iteration are the only cameras deliberately designed to shoot in this format.

I’ve owned two Xpans, not at the same time, and sold both. The last one was 98% as new with very low shutter count. I kept it for ten years or so and when I found out repairs were becoming a problem I sold it for almost 3 times what I paid for it. I enjoyed using them but down the road if a problem developed I didn’t want to get stuck with something that couldn’t be repaired. I decided to make money on it while the prices were going up.

What I decided to do is to shoot my Brooks Veriwide 100 degree camera and crop the negs to the same aspect ratio or use my Hasselblad with the 40mm CF FLE and crop to that aspect ratio. Ok I waste part of the frame but it gives me flexibility as to what part of the neg I use. I also have a Fuji G617 that I put up for sale once but never got a taker. It’s a beast but the negs and images are spectacular. Now I need to get a 6x4.5 horizontal roll back for my Hasselblad and get15 or 16 frames per roll.

What I decided to do is to shoot my Brooks Veriwide 100 degree camera and crop the negs to the same aspect ratio or use my Hasselblad with the 40mm CF FLE and crop to that aspect ratio. Now I need to get a 6x4.5 horizontal roll back for my Hasselblad and get15 or 16 frames per roll.

And another idea is to use the SWC with 38mm Biogon together with the 645 back. It covers exactly the same horizontal FOV, on the 54mm wide film frame, as the 45mm XPAN lens on the 65mm wide frame. The advantage is that you are not limited to the extreme aspect ratio of the XPAN. If you want more foreground or sky, it's there; just crop a little less!

And another idea is to use the SWC with 38mm Biogon together with the 645 back. It covers exactly the same horizontal FOV, on the 54mm wide film frame, as the 45mm XPAN lens on the 65mm wide frame. The advantage is that you are not limited to the extreme aspect ratio of the XPAN. If you want more foreground or sky, it's there; just crop a little less!

Sigma Quattros and the Fuji GFX cameras have panoramic aspect ratios that allow the same thing too. Both keep the full image data in the raw file but apply the selected AR to the file automatically so that they can be recropped later.

Shawn

This is exactly what I’ve done with my 903SWC. I usually use it with a regular A12 but that A16 really comes in handy. I see it as having some post shot rise/fall, and of course I can use a 2:1 crop if the photograph calls for it, sometimes the 65:24 is a bit too wide.

It really is a special camera. It will continue to go up... that said, I will use the GFX-50R in panoramic mode in order to try to get a little bit of that feel. I don't care about the film look, but I've always liked this aspect ratio.

The XPan is so unique and one of my favorite cameras of all time. I have 2 of them, and I can never sell them because if I did, I'd never be able to afford another. I realize that I may just be awaiting an ultimate electronics/shutter failure, but who knows, parts may become available in the age of 3d printing, and it also seems there are a number of classic camera repair shops popping up in the resurgence of film, so I'm hoping, with fingers crossed, that the ambition of others will keep these cameras running long into the future.

As far as aspect ratio you can certainly crop into frames, but the straight out of camera panorama that comes from the Xpan is so nice, not to mention the lenses for this system. I'm always amazed at the color/sharpness and overall quality of the images this camera produces. Another thing is just the size of the camera. It's big and a bit heavy, but only a little bit wider than a typical Leica M.

Some may not like this camera, but for those who like it, there really isn't anything else like it.

Always wanted an XPan, wanted to buy one enough that I started buying accessories some years ago while I was looking for one. I'm no longer in that mindset, I long ago sold off all the accessories I had acquired but for one: a Billingham carry bag dedicated to the XPan.

Billingham Panexia Khaki Canvas Bag
For Hasselblad Xpan With 2 Lenses
10X6X5.5 inches
https://billingham.co.uk/products/bag-for-hasselblad-xpan
The one I have:

51402898204_767742f2a1_b.jpg

G

What is the going price for a TX-1 these days with all the lenses? I can't remember what I paid for this gear, although I know it was a lot.

A quick look on sold prices for epay says over $6300 for a pretty good conditioned T1 w/45 and 90 (no 30mm).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174815491129?hash=item28b3d0b439:g:2XcAAOSwspBg1eCe

then add nearly a $3k more for the 30mm set

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164911868554?hash=item2665836a8a:g:N~oAAOSwae9gxt8W

Note - neither sale appears to have the center density filters or and the 45 and 90 lack their original hoods.

What is the going price for a TX-1 these days with all the lenses? I can't remember what I paid for this gear, although I know it was a lot.

I kick myself for selling mine years ago, I just was not using it.

Yep, I wish I hadn't sold mine. I also sold my SWC (using the 40mm Distagon now). I'm sure I will return to either the SWC or XPAN, but haven't made the final decision yet. I believe the SWC is the more versatile of the two; nevertheless, I miss my XPAN. I miss its ability to focus and meter, and its viewfinder.

A quick look on sold prices for epay says over $6300 for a pretty good conditioned T1 w/45 and 90 (no 30mm).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174815491129?hash=item28b3d0b439:g:2XcAAOSwspBg1eCe

then add nearly a $3k more for the 30mm set

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164911868554?hash=item2665836a8a:g:N~oAAOSwae9gxt8W

Note - neither sale appears to have the center density filters or and the 45 and 90 lack their original hoods.

Three grand for the 30mm without the center filter renders it relatively limited; dramatically, hopelessly and irredeemably vignettes. Good luck to the lucky bidder ever finding a filter. Hoods and central density filters for the 45/90 are more common but at heady prices.

The singular bright spot if the camera were to catastrophically fail, is that the trio of compact lenses project a 6x7 image circle and can be used with an adapter on the Hasselblad X cameras.

With an adaptor, they can all be used on Fuji GF system.
The singular bright spot if the camera were to catastrophically fail, is that the trio of compact lenses project a 6x7 image circle and can be used with an adapter on the Hasselblad X cameras.

With an adaptor, they can all be used on Fuji GF system.

I should have mentioned an OEM adapter. Hasselblad makes one for the Xpan but I don't believe Fujifilm does.

I am loathe to interpose a $10 flEaBay adapter between a $5k camera and a $3k lens though Fotodiox has one, but am unfamiliar with their build quality and tolerances.

Hoods and central density filters for the 45/90 are more common but at heady prices.

Hoods shouldn't be that much of a problem anymore, since 3D-printed are available through Ebay. I use one on my 45mm and it works fine. Plus it has a lens cap which can be set into the hood, so there is no need to take of the hood to cap the lens.

I should have mentioned an OEM adapter. Hasselblad makes one for the Xpan but I don't believe Fujifilm does.

I am loathe to interpose a $10 flEaBay adapter between a $5k camera and a $3k lens though Fotodiox has one, but am unfamiliar with their build quality and tolerances.

Fotodiox quality is functional, not the best but works. The huge difference, of course, is the GF system has a mechanic shutter vs electronic only so more flexibility there with adapted lenses.

But really, buying an XPAN and lenses with the thinking of using the lens on a digital body when the XPAN dies feels odd. One could do that but all the FOVs have changed pretty dramatically. You can get similar focal lengths for less money (much less on on the 30mm) with potentially more functionality (closer MFD, tilt/shift) or different focal lengths to try to match the FOV.

Shawn

But really, buying an XPAN and lenses with the thinking of using the lens on a digital body when the XPAN dies feels odd. One could do that but all the FOVs have changed pretty dramatically. You can get similar focal lengths for less money (much less on on the 30mm) with potentially more functionality (closer MFD, tilt/shift) or different focal lengths to try to match the FOV.

Shawn

It is odd and unfortunate and that's why I mentioned it as the 'singular' upside if you happen to buy the kit and are left with a brick.

Back