XPAN Scanning on a flatbed.

M

mfs

There are a number of newer flat bed scanners that have transparency adapters (Epson, Canon). Does anyone have experience using them with Xpan slides??

Hi

I have used my Epson 3170 to scan slides produced by a Horizon 202 - using the strip adaptor for non mounted slides and have had no problem.

The only thing i have had to do is enter a new format size for the final scan as I use dedicated Epson panoramic paper, but this all depends on your prefered method of scanning in order to achive your final print size

Happy Scanning

Glenn

I use a Canon 9900 for "contact sheets" and quick XPan scans. The software lacks some functionality, but the results are fine.

schaubild said:
I use a Canon 9900 for "contact sheets" and quick XPan scans. The software lacks some functionality, but the results are fine.

Do you have another method for doing scan for large prints?

If I go for print quality I use a Nikon 8000 scanner. Together with Silverfast and a glass holder the quality is more than sufficient even for big enlargements.

schaubild said:
If I go for print quality I use a Nikon 8000 scanner. Together with Silverfast and a glass holder the quality is more than sufficient even for big enlargements.

Thanks! How large can you print from the flatbed before you move to the Nikon? I'm considering getting the Xpan and a scanner but am struggling with the decision, due to the high cost of a dedicated medium format scanner.

I used to do A3+ with it, results were fine. But a dedicated film scanner with true 4000dpi resolution makes a big difference even at this (compareably small?) print size. I have never printed from the flatbed since (expect 4x5 scans), almost all of my presentation negatives/slides have been rescanned/reworked. This might sound like a lot of work, but I'm very picky with my images, it's all about quality, in the end I will get about 10 a year.

schaubild said:
I used to do A3+ with it, results were fine. But a dedicated film scanner with true 4000dpi resolution makes a big difference even at this (compareably small?) print size. I have never printed from the flatbed since (expect 4x5 scans), almost all of my presentation negatives/slides have been rescanned/reworked. This might sound like a lot of work, but I'm very picky with my images, it's all about quality, in the end I will get about 10 a year.

Thanks schaubild. This is my philosophy too. Just not sure I can justify the cost for a medium format scanner.

In terms of the canon flatbed scanner: does it scan a whole XPan frame at once? Also, how would an A4 print look off the flatbed? (One option for me is to get a flatbed to scan for smaller prints and then have my local pro shop do high resolution scanning for the minority of prints I'd like to do at a larger size.)

A4 is so small, with the right postprocessing there shouldn't be a big difference. As already mentioned, the Canon scans up to 4x5.

I just got the Epson 4990 Photo. It comes bundled with Silverfast scanning software, which I highly recommend. The scanner is great. Around $400 shipped from Buy.com.

Thanks everyone. Is there a specific mask for xpan negatives that you use with flatbeds? (I've never done any scanning before so I apologize if my questions are a bit naive.)

The Epson comes with various masks. I use the mask for film strips. I print 13"x19" on an Epson 2200 with no problems.

mfs said:
There are a number of newer flat bed scanners that have transparency adapters (Epson, Canon). Does anyone have experience using them with Xpan slides??

I have been using an Epson Perfection 4870 Photo, which allows you to scan strips of Xpan negatives as positive film. You simply use the lassoo tool to edit out the unexposed portion of the film. The scans are saved as JPEGs which can then be edited in photoshop. I usually print them to A4 size on my HP photosmart 7960 printer, or sometimes smaller on 10x15cm photo paper. Hope this helps. Keep on xpanding your portfolio !!

Back