XPAN2 Long Exposure Qs?

They are not the same. They don't even share the filter size (49 vs. 58mm).

Vignetting is probably because of the ND filter. Does Lee really recommend Seven5 for 30mm on Xpan?

It could also be that you will get some vignetting even with bigger ND filter system. Oblique rays have longer path through the filter than straight ones. If the filter is relatively thick (the light changing properties of the filter are not contained only in the thin coating of the filter) this longer path will probably make a difference on very wide lenses.

What is the reason for the long exposures? Is it to get the smooth, misty appearance of the water, and/or the clouds, in the shots you posted? Great work, by the way!

@brbo it isnt that Lee filters reccomends anything specifically about the 30mm lens... but if you want to use a big stopper or grads, the Seven5 system from Leee fits the lenses for the XPAN, as well as digital micro four thirds cameras....

http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system-seven5

I also have a set of the larger 100mm Lee filters and get a small amount of vignetting when using the ND10 Big stopper with wide Zeiss 18mm and 21mm lenses on my 5D3... so I guess it goes with the territory....

from Lee Filters site:

How wide will the LEE Filter System go without vignetting?

There is no hard and fast answer to this, lens specs and designs change all the time, as do the filter holder requirements. However, as a rough guide, using a simple holder setup with 2 filter slots, and no lens shade a DSLR (small chip) will go down to 10mm. A 35mm & Full chip DSLR will go down to 16mm. A medium format 645 & 6×6 will go down to 35mm. A medium format 6×7 will go down to 45mm. A larger format 5×4 camera will go down to 70 – 90mm.

Back