Yashica 35 (1958)

NorpA

Established
Local time
10:10 PM
I am trying to repair a nice Yashica 35 (1958). This camera is simply perfect (nice rangefinder, smooth focus control, correct shutter), except the film transport mechanism: when using the wind lever the internal take up spool doesn't rotate as expected... in fact I assume it should rotate clockwise, while the wind lever rotates counterclockwise... in my case the take up spool rotates ccw when unloaded and remains in the same position if the friction (film loaded) increases.

Do you know if there is a repairing manual around? The Internet is overloaded by the later Yashica Electro, without any love for this old beauty.

Regards,

10takeupspool.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there NorpA. I have got one of these, and I had a look under the bottom plate.It is a straightforward mechanism that cannot go wrong, unless cogwheels are missing.
Before you have a look yourself, check if the little wheel in the bottomplate points to A, otherwise the transport mechanism will be disengaged. If it is in A position, the mechanism may be stuck in the R position ( because of dirt, old grease etc). In that case unscrew the 5 screws and lift the plate, and clean the cogwheels etc.
Good luck.

Cheers,
Jan

Thank you Jan,
shortly I will describe my humble restoration in this topic.
It has been an excellent exercise, for a beginner, since the mechanism is pretty simple.

May I ask you why did you sell the camera?

Hi NorpA, How are you getting along with your camera? Did you fix it?
By the way, I have not sold mine (I actually have got 2: the 2.8 and the 1.9) and I agree with you: they are solid, smooth shooters.

Cheers,
Jan

well, I isolated the root cause with the transport mechanism and reached out Mark Hama for spare parts, unfortunately he sold out everything for this camera so I will try with an irreversible solution. I will post pics soon. Thanks for your interest!

Let me revamp this post to share my experience.

The Model 35 camera depicted here is the first of the Rangefinder models produced by Yashica.

35.gif

This camera has a fixed lens integrated with a Copal MXV shutter. So a leaf shutter solution which I am used to have with folding cameras, and which assure a smooth and silent experience.

What really impressed me about this camera was the clever idea to integrate the shutter cocking indicator directly in the frame counter window. Only one word: elegant.

Scatto.jpg

The arrow indicating the frame number turns red or white depending if the shutter is respectively cocked or not. Sweet.

As soon as I got this camera I noticed that the take-up spool was rotating in the opposite direction as expected.

Without further ado, the transport mechanism was completely impaired and the camera has been declared dead since I couldn't find any spare parts around.

This disclaimer just to say that what will follow didn't harm any camera.
It is more a gift, a scientific autopsy to better understand the mechanical secrets of this photographic specimen.

Step #1 disassembly the body

Here how the system looks when partially exposed

WP_20150531_002.jpg

top (note the simple/simplistic mechanism to visualize the shutter state)

WP_20150531_003.jpg

and bottom

WP_20150601_003.jpg

Here the transport mechanism which is fully situated on the bottom part of the camera

WP_20150629_003.jpg

And here my notes to visualize and understand how the transport mechanism should work. (highlighting the different spins CW/CCW)

WP_20150629_002.jpg

Two take away points here
1. this camera is based on a very thin principle: the wind lever engages the leaf shutter and control the transport mechanism. While the first movement is assured with a robust transmission chain, the latest is placed on the bottom of the camera, so we have a long and thin transmission axe with a threaded end tightening on a large gear. Jezz, this sounds like a single point of failure.

2. the film rewind release deal is quite bizarre. From the bottom of the camera we need to switch from A to R, now the transport mechanism is no more engaged and we can rewind the film in the cassette. Eventually we need to remember to bring back the rewind release deal from R to A before loading any other film. Here the tricky part. The entire rewind mechanism is based on a spiral shim, when we turn the dial to R we move the spiral shim to its higher position, which will elevate the entire gear associate with the transport spool. In this moment the transport spool is not engaged and it can freely rotate allowing to rewind the film in the cassette. BUT!! I noticed that EVERY time I move the dial from R to A, even if the spiral shim will move to its lower position, the transport gear will remain on the rewind position! SUPER dangerous. As best practice I always suggest to manually rotate the transport spool as you want to rewind the film. This simple gesture will "remind" to the transport gear to move down and take the right position. Note you will hear a reassuring "click" and you will notice that you cannot rotate the transmission spool anymore in the rewind direction. This is what you want to assure a correct film transportation and even more important an healthy position fore the entire transmission gear chain.

WP_20150629_001.jpg

Very nice write up, NorpA! I had to laugh when I saw the bit about the frame indicator changing colour. If I hadn't read this thread I don't think I would ever have noticed it. Another reason to like this lovely camera!

Back