Yashica D vertical banding

halvmesyr

Established
Local time
8:43 AM
Getting banding on frames from my Yashica D. I'm using Ilford XP2 and it was developed by a lab. I got this issue on two different rolls. It's more visible in shots like this with a clear sky.

banding.jpg
I've ever only seen this kind of banding on 35mm when agitating the development tank too heavily. Any ideas what might cause this?

Thanks!

Can you see those lines on the negative under a loupe or magnifying glass?

If not it's the scanner causing them. Otherwise something went wrong with the development.

Thanks! I checked it and it's definitely on the negs too. The lab did mention that they had had issues with xp2 recently. I thought the first roll turned out fine so I didn't think about it again. But checking that roll it definitely has photos with the same issue.

Took another look at my raw scan and there's definitely some light leak going on in the camera. There is a small bit of play to the film door once closed. Is that to be expected?

banding2.jpg

Took another look at my raw scan and there's definitely some light leak going on in the camera. There is a small bit of play to the film door once closed. Is that to be expected?

View attachment 4821607
I don't think this is light leak thought. It is developing error. If you want to be on the safe side, put some black electrical tape on the camera back (I do it with my Rolleicord).

I don't think this is light leak thought. It is developing error. If you want to be on the safe side, put some black electrical tape on the camera back (I do it with my Rolleicord).

Hmm, looks quite a lot like stray light on the edges to me. I can post another example later where it's more visible. Taping it up is a good idea. Will have to try that. Thanks!

Looking at the film door there is some sealing material there but its detoriorated and missing in spots. I tried googling it and some people mention that these cameras don't have/need light seal material since they have a metal baffle.

Looking at the film door there is some sealing material there but its detoriorated and missing in spots. I tried googling it and some people mention that these cameras don't have/need light seal material since they have a metal baffle.
I've never trusted those metal baffles. They've been terrible on every camera I've ever used with a removable back, whether TLR or rangefinder. They almost always need some light sealing - especially after 50+ years of wear and tear.

That said, that "bleed" over the edges of the frame doesn't look like a light leak to me. I've seen that a lot with images that are over-exposed, especially where lens flare has been a factor. That's also unrelated to the banding in the original image (which also doesn't look like a light leak - a leak around the back wouldn't be that repetitive and linear).

If you're worried about that stray light, get a lens hood and consider flocking the inside of the film chamber to cut down on internal reflections. I've done that on a couple of Yashica TLRs over the years and it makes a huge difference.

Strikes me that a development issue, such as bromide drag, would manifest itself in this fashion, where you'd see the streaks running east/west. I'd try the back-taping approach first.

1683997924747.png

Strikes me that a development issue, such as bromide drag, would manifest itself in this fashion, where you'd see the streaks running east/west. I'd try the back-taping approach first.

View attachment 4821611
If it is bromide drag it will manifest as a line running top to bottom (imagine how the surface of the water sits in the tank).

Anyway it might not necessarilybe bromide drag, here is a pic I posted on another thread asking for help. The general consensus was not enough developer in the mix. Indeed I changed the dilutions and never had this issue.
ScanImage293.jpg

If it is bromide drag it will manifest as a line running top to bottom (imagine how the surface of the water sits in the tank).

Anyway it might not necessarilybe bromide drag, here is a pic I posted on another thread asking for help. The general consensus was not enough developer in the mix. Indeed I changed the dilutions and never had this issue.
View attachment 4821612
I get a line like that along the bottom of some of my 35 scans(epsonV600). I should invest is some better film holders.

Back