Yashica Electro 35 CC: Shutter speed when shoot without battery.

nukecoke

⚛Yashica
Local time
10:25 PM
I'm sure most of you have read the article about CC on CameraQuest.com

(if not):
www.cameraquest.com/yash35cc.htm

It's a nice site and helped a lot, however there are mistakes here and there. In this one about CC, it says "removing the battery will give you 1/30th."

I personally checked with my CC and it is not true, at least for my sample. It seems shooting without battery has a speed of 1/250s, the top speed as described.

So, this camera actually survive better in comparison with its 1/500s cousins at daylight shooting if you dropped your battery. If you use ISO200 film, then sunny 16 rules is spot on for you!

Happy Shooting!

It appears to have a (capacitor) discharge timing circuit, so it will close immediately when no battery is installed, making that the shortest time, right. Charging timer (as well as digitally counting) cameras will fall back to B or T without battery. Only some SLRs with hybrid FP shutters may default to sync speed.

If you ponder little more about what "Sunny 16 Rule" indicates, you will realize the models with 1/500s (actually it's usually around 1/400s with the Electros) have more advantage than those with 1/250s, I'm afraid.

The Sunny 16 Rule merely gives you a reference on how you can determine the right exposure setting without a lightmeter when shooting in the sun, which is LV15-1/3. You can achieve that LV setting with either of following settings:

F22 1/200s ISO400
F16 1/200s ISO200
F11 1/200s ISO100

F16 1/400s ISO400
F11 1/400s ISO200
F8 1/400s ISO100

We don't use F22 or F16 unless we are intentionally trying to achieve greater DOF because such a small aperture usually results in less than optimal quality. The Sunny 16 is a rule of thumb which can serve very useful for a "total bigginer", but once you know the basics of exposure, there's no reason to stick with "sixteen" itself.

If you ponder little more about what "Sunny 16 Rule" indicates, you will realize the models with 1/500s (actually it's usually around 1/400s with the Electros) have more advantage than those with 1/250s, I'm afraid.

The Sunny 16 Rule merely gives you a reference on how you can determine the right exposure setting without a lightmeter when shooting in the sun, which is LV15-1/3. You can achieve that LV setting with either of following settings:

F22 1/200s ISO400
F16 1/200s ISO200
F11 1/200s ISO100

F16 1/400s ISO400
F11 1/400s ISO200
F8 1/400s ISO100

We don't use F22 or F16 unless we are intentionally trying to achieve greater DOF because such a small aperture usually results in less than optimal quality. The Sunny 16 is a rule of thumb which can serve very useful for a "total bigginer", but once you know the basics of exposure, there's no reason to stick with "sixteen" itself.

1/500s (or 1/400 as you said) surely works as good as 1/250s when it's above EV12, and better when it's above EV16. My bad, I live in a country where "daylight" has lots of variations.

When I wrote "spot-on" I meant one doesn't need to do any thinking and just use the exact S16rules. Of course it doesn't hurt to calculate accordingly if you use a different film with a different ISO.

1/500s (or 1/400 as you said) surely works as good as 1/250s when it's above EV12, and better when it's above EV16. My bad, I live in a country where "daylight" has lots of variations.

Sorry, if you believe the 'Sunny' conditions vary between LV12-17 because of the uniqueness of your region, I must say that you don't understand what the term 'sunny' in the rule indicates correctly, let alone the principles or the efficacy of the rule itself. So many people believe the rule is applicable to any conditions as long as there is the sun in the sky; it sometimes surprise me to see so many people just cannnot discern between clear sky and hazy sky etc.

And nothing you claimed justifies your allegation that the CC can survive better than its cousins, I'm afraid. The CC is a good camera but its having limited default speed of 1/250s is nothing more than a disadvantage. :(

I think you guys may be having some miscommunication. I thought nukecoke meant that the 35 CC was better for shooting in daylight than cameras that have 1/500th with a battery but default to 1/30th or so without a battery. Since it defaults to 1/250th without a battery.

Happy shooting to you too, nukecoke!

:)

Sorry, if you believe the 'Sunny' conditions vary between LV12-17 because of the uniqueness of your region, I must say that you don't understand what the term 'sunny' in the rule indicates correctly, let alone the principles or the efficacy of the rule itself. So many people believe the rule is applicable to any conditions as long as there is the sun in the sky; it sometimes surprise me to see so many people just cannnot discern between clear sky and hazy sky etc.

And nothing you claimed justifies your allegation that the CC can survive better than its cousins, I'm afraid. The CC is a good camera but its having limited default speed of 1/250s is nothing more than a disadvantage. :(

I'm afraid I've been clear enough and there is no need to repeat anything and/or let things slide down the slope.

I must say I really learned a lot of meteorology from your post, unfortunately not photography.:(

Happy shooting to you too, nukecoke!

:)

Cheers to you and enjoy your shooting!

I've made a couple of attempts to purchase a CC on eBay, but the prices seem to skyrocket beyond what I'm willing to pay. Considering its not hard to find a good working Electro G/GS/GSN/GT/GTN in the $25 - $50 price, I can't justify nearly $100 for basically the same thing in a slightly smaller body with a 5mm wider lens.

I thought the Electro 35 G, GS, & GSN series all use a 45mm focal length lens. To me a 35mm focal length is a very different perspective when used in tight spaces.

Also, to the O.P. in China - how often does one need to replace the batteries in a 35CC?

Best Regards,

Dangit, you're right it is 45mm, not 40. Thats what I get for making posts before 8:30am without actually having the camera near me. :)

Still, I think the CCs are overvalued right now.

I don't think that is a merit of its body, but rather the lens, which is not only good, but part of the somewhat rare class of fast rangefinder wides. Thanks to that, the CC does in some aspects compete with the very much more expensive fast M mount wides (upward of 400€ for the cheapest option, the earlier 35mm Summicron), so that bidders may feel it is justified to pay four times the going rate for a GSN, and still feel that they have saved a lot...

I've made a couple of attempts to purchase a CC on eBay, but the prices seem to skyrocket beyond what I'm willing to pay. Considering its not hard to find a good working Electro G/GS/GSN/GT/GTN in the $25 - $50 price, I can't justify nearly $100 for basically the same thing in a slightly smaller body with a 5mm wider lens.

I got really lucky buying my CC on eBay. Bought it from a German seller last year at a price of ~60 EUR. The listing was in German and I guess it somehow reduced the amount of international bidders.

I thought the Electro 35 G, GS, & GSN series all use a 45mm focal length lens. To me a 35mm focal length is a very different perspective when used in tight spaces.

Also, to the O.P. in China - how often does one need to replace the batteries in a 35CC?

Best Regards,

I've shot only 3 rolls with the battery came with the camera, plus sometimes I play with the camera with film unloaded. When doing battery check I haven't seen the light inside the frame counter getting obviously darker. A wild guess: 3 years for a user?

I don't think that is a merit of its body, but rather the lens, which is not only good, but part of the somewhat rare class of fast rangefinder wides. Thanks to that, the CC does in some aspects compete with the very much more expensive fast M mount wides (upward of 400€ for the cheapest option, the earlier 35mm Summicron), so that bidders may feel it is justified to pay four times the going rate for a GSN, and still feel that they have saved a lot...

I have another rangefinder + 35mm lens combo: a J12 on a FED2. But the CC is just so compact and quick to use, makes me leave the heavier and bulkier set at home.

Owned this camera -- as much as I like the Yashica G's, the camera's 1/250th top shutter speed and 400 ISO (actually recall it being 500, I think) cap I found limiting. Sold it. That said, beautifully built camera and very good lens. Never owned one, but the GX would be the one if I bought another Yash. rf.

I have another rangefinder + 35mm lens combo: a J12 on a FED2.

Oh, there is no shortage of f/2.8 and slower 35mm lenses on (interchangeable or fixed lens) rangefinders. But the CC is by far the most affordable option faster than f/2.

Just won a CC, likely because it was listed as a GSN instead, so not many bidders. My plan is to keep it loaded with FP4+, and not let the battery die. I found when I'm shooting with a 35mm lens, I tend to not change the focal length as much, so a small carry-around fixed lens 35 will fill my needs exactly. That is, if it works when it finally gets here.

PF

Just won a CC, likely because it was listed as a GSN instead, so not many bidders. My plan is to keep it loaded with FP4+, and not let the battery die. I found when I'm shooting with a 35mm lens, I tend to not change the focal length as much, so a small carry-around fixed lens 35 will fill my needs exactly. That is, if it works when it finally gets here.

Phil,

Best of luck with the CC and Happy Shooting :D

Charles

The CC arrived yesterday, and other than the battery cap being a little buggered up it's in good shape. Slipped an L544 into the well, tested all the functions, then loaded up a roll of Kodak Gold 200 (expired 10/14). Shot most of it yesterday, but didn't get out to finish the roll today. Maybe first thing in the morning if I get up early enough.

PF

Back