yashica Electro 35 Front Cell Disassembly

Petrolhead

Local time
8:38 AM
Hi All,

This is my second unsuccessful attempt trying to disassemble the front cell.

The cell was actually clamped very tightly on a vice using wooden jaws to protect the thread and I made a two prong spanner out of a hinge. When I started turning the slotted part of the cell, the threaded part, now being held very tightly by the vice also started turning.

I have dosed the assumed point of separation with liberal dose of acetone to remove any glue or thread lock but still no success.

Am I missing something ? Any help appreciated.

Thanks
17828472623_490205964d_c.jpg

You are using the correct technique, but sometimes these are very tight. You need a spanner which will take a lot of leverage, I grasp the threaded part with a pair of serrated pliers. The threads will get marked, but the lens will thread back in easily enough.

You are using the correct technique, but sometimes these are very tight. You need a spanner which will take a lot of leverage, I grasp the threaded part with a pair of serrated pliers. The threads will get marked, but the lens will thread back in easily enough.

Thanks Frontman.

I finally disassembled the stubborn bugger, just for completeness and to share with those that may have the same problem, the disassembled part is pictured below:

19076494429_7dc0a7ba6a_c.jpg

It was very very tight and it kept slipping on my home made clamp. The lens cleaned up nicely and the fungus did not leave any marks behind.

Be careful with grabbing these things in a vice especially if dismantled, because you can apply too much pressure without noticing. Though threads will be OK if the jaws are made of wood, the whole ring can become a bit flattened that will make it impossible to screw in-out.

Be careful with grabbing these things in a vice especially if dismantled, because you can apply too much pressure without noticing. Though threads will be OK if the jaws are made of wood, the whole ring can become a bit flattened that will make it impossible to screw in-out.

Thanks for pointing out, I realised that and fashioned some clamps according to this website:

http://www.dchristy.org/

The wood I used was not of good quality and the clamp split along the grain, I ended up using 2 f-clamps on both sides of the clamp.

Back