Yashica electro 35 GSN battery/electricity problem

machineboy

Local time
12:34 AM
I just recieved my ebay GSN. It was in pretty good condition, and a picture on the auction showed the battery light working. The light did not light up when I pressed the button though.

I put in a fresh 4LR44 battery with a small spring, but nothing - no light, no arrows, no nothing. I opened up the bottom to check if there was any corrotion, but it was clean and all wires seemed fine.

Has anyone experienced this, and have any clues? I'm pretty sure the battery and spring fits well.

Sometimes the electrical contacts get a bit dirty from lack of use or storage. The best I can suggest is slowly (very very very slowly) press down on the shutter. If you hear a buzzing sound that means theres electricity flowing to the lamps. If that works just repeat and you'll notice a progression in the lights.

This might sound redundant but check to make sure theres contact between the battery and the spring. I had to bend my spring a little so it would make contact with the center of the battery. I also put a little cardboard around the battery to help make up the size difference. I found cutting 1/2 inch off from the tube of toilet paper to do quite well. Its also curled so that makes life a little easier. Last I had good luck with a pair of springs I got from Osh (the spring part number is C-694)

Thanks, I will try the slow-press of the shutter today and listen.

I'm pretty sure the spring makes contact, and I've also put some cardboard around the battery to increase the diameter. I also tried with some tin foil, but still nothing. I removed the bottom plate yesterday, but there was no corrotion on the bottom and no broken wires or loose pieces.

using ohmmeter to check if wiring is OK?

using ohmmeter to check if wiring is OK?

Hmm, this baby is still dead. I've cleaned all contacts, but still nothing.

Has anyone ever used an ohmmeter or multimeter on a GSN to check for errors?

I have one here, but I've never used it before, and don't know which soldering points or areas to use to check if something's not working. Anyone have any clues?

EDIT: Put some pictures up on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/machineboy/2204521388/in/pool-yashicaelectro

http://www.flickr.com/photos/machineboy/2204521378/in/pool-yashicaelectro/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/machineboy/2204521376/in/pool-yashicaelectro/

Last edited:
Chances are the bottom battery lead is broken. The spring protrudes from the bottom (or top depending on your view) of the battery compartment and a white lead is soldered to it. They often break here, either from leaking battery corrosion or who knows what. If you loosen the two screws that hold the battery tube to the frame and oh so very gently lift - if it is still attached to the lead you'll feel resistance. It's a short lead so don't pull with any force or you will break the soldered connection if it isn't already broken! Better yet - just remove the screws and hold the camera right side up - broken and it will pretty much fall out on its own. If it's broken, the battery tube will slide right out - and that'll be your problem. The white lead dissappears into the top of the camera compartment.

If have one with just this problem myself. I just haven't had the time to remove the top cover and see if I can track down the lead for replacement or add on to it so I can re-solder to the battery compartment spring.

Ken

Last edited:
Thanks Ken, I got a similar tip on the classic camera repair forum, and it was spot-on. Corrosion or some other force had snapped the white wire from the battery compartment.

The solution was to remove the compartment, solder a new wire from where the spring portrudes the chamber, and then solder this wire to the white wire. When I did this, everything worked! Unfortunately another wire connected to the bottom battery ring broke as I put it together, but I was able to resolder it. These wires are very brittle!

Now I just have to readjust the ASA dial, I didn't pay much attention to it when I put it back together, and now the numbers rotate with the dial. Small problem. Glad it worked out, I'm finishing my test roll tomorrow!

The beauty of forum posts is they live on! - 10 years on and I'm experiencing this with a GSN I just bought from eBay. Hopefully, it's the fix!

Back