Yashica I C Camera

DickS

Local time
7:36 AM
Would anyone have any information about the Yashica I C rangefinder camera? I picked one up for $10.50 so the price was right, but I cannot find it listed in McKeown's Cameras.

The closest listing I could find with a Google search was Yashica IC Lynx, and it certainly isn't a Lynx or an Electro, unless Yashica made an Electro without putting Electro on it.

It has a Yashinon 1.8 lens and the lens is not interchangeable.

If anyone knows anything about it, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Dick

Are you sure it isn't a Lynx 5000E? Should say IC under the word Yashica and Lynx 5000E under viewfinder window.

Are you sure it's an f1.8 lens and not an f1.7 lens? The Lynx 5000e has the IC designation. Frequently the "Lynx 5000e" nameplate falls off. It is supposed to be in a little frame under the main viewfinder window.

The 35mm Yashica rangefinder with the f1.8 lens is the Electro 35 series.

-Paul

Thanks for the answers so far. Yashica-guy's web site was the first place I checked and I found nothing there. I sent him an e-mail but that was only a few hours ago so I wouldn't expect a reply yet.

It definitely is not a Lynx. I have one, unfortunately with a broken shutter and a cost of near $100, including shipping costs, to have it repaired, so the shutter stays broken.

The camera is about the same height as an Electro but is close to an inch narrower in length.

And I have never seen an Electro model that didn't say Electro so I don't believe it could be a type of Electro.

Dick

Last edited:
Actually, I think I got it backwards. The Electro 35's have the f1.7 lens and the Lynx 5000 series has the f1.8 lens. However, Only the electronic exposure version of the Lynx-14 and Lynx 5000, known as the "e"models" have the IC designation. I don't know of any others called "IC" cameras by Yashica.

Sorry for the confusion.

-Paul

I heard from Yashica-guy and what I have is a Lynx 1000, a camera I had never seen before. There is a blank piece of metal where the name should be so I guess it just came off.

It is called the 1000 because the top shutter speed is 1/1000 of a second, the only Yashica of its type that has that speed. Also the lens stops down f22.

I got the battery compartment open after using a pliers on the cover and found two very corroded 640 batteries in it but the compartment itself was clean. I have one of Yashica-guy's adapter so I took the battery out of the adapter and put it in the compartment and it fit perfectly and I turning the aperture ring, I got two arrows showing me which way to turn it for proper exposure. Two words also lit up but I can't remember now what it said.

The shutter appears to fire at all speeds. I haven't had a chance to use it so I don't know if the battery I put in it works all right with the meter, but Yashica-guy lists another adapter for a Lynx so I may be getting that.

The camera cost me a total of $20 including shipping. I am rather happy.

Dick

Hi Dick,

I doubt very much that it's a Lynx 1000. The Lynx 1000 had a selenium meter cell on the upper left side (lens pointing at you) and didn't need a battery. It was the first of the series and wasn't marked IC which stood for integrated circuits, which came about 7-8 years after the Lynx 1000 which was introduced in 1959. The first 35's to use integrated circuits were the Lynx 14E and the Lynx 5000E. The Lynx 5000E had the same spec as the original 1000 except for a CDS cell for the light meter powered by a PX640 battery and of course, the integrated circuits. My guess is that you have a 5000E.

Gerry

I certainly won't argue with you but there is a picture of the Lynx 1000 on Yashica-guy's website and it looks exactly like my camera except mine is missing the name Lynx 1000 and has a blank piece of metal where the name should be.

Dick

Gerry,

I took another look at Yashica-Guys page and I mixed the text with the wrong picture. What I have is not a Lynx 1000. It may well be the 5000 E as you say. There is no picture of it so I can't tell for certain but your information on the 5000E certainly matches my camera, and I'm still happy.

Dick

Lucky that the corrosion hadn't eaten the wires. I had that happen on a nice Yashica GSN. I need to solder some new wires to fix but haven't had time. The wires looked ok but had the "black death". Sounds like you found something good. Enjoy.

DickS said:
It definitely is not a Lynx. I have one, unfortunately with a broken shutter and a cost of near $100, including shipping costs, to have it repaired, so the shutter stays broken.
Dick

This shutter might be easily fixed. You need to unscrew the front lens element and apply lighter fluid to the shutter blaces, which are probably stuck with dried lube.

This is a common problem with Lynx cameras. Indeed with leaf shutter's generally.

Back