Yashica Mat 124G with chrome dials?

thmk

Well-known
Local time
12:13 PM
Hi all,
I just aquired a Yashica Mat 124G on the bay and I am wondering if there were really (early?) models with chrome dials for speed and aperture like on the Mat 124. All pictures of the mat 124G which I could find show black dials only.
The front of my camera states clearly Yashica Mat 124G but somehow I am not really convinced that it is not a "Frankenstein" made of spare parts lying around.

Cheers
Thomas-Michael

not sure

not sure

but i've read some descriptions that say the 124 non-g had some metal knobs that went to plastic on the 124g, so maybe a knob broke, and a previous owner along the way upgraded it.

thmk said:
Hi all,
I just aquired a Yashica Mat 124G on the bay and I am wondering if there were really (early?) models with chrome dials for speed and aperture like on the Mat 124. All pictures of the mat 124G which I could find show black dials only.
The front of my camera states clearly Yashica Mat 124G but somehow I am not really convinced that it is not a "Frankenstein" made of spare parts lying around.

Cheers
Thomas-Michael

physiognomy said:
Could you show us any pictures? I'd like to see your camera... I've only ever seen black 124G's...

Peter

Currently I do only have the picture from the auction because the camera is already on the way to the mechanic of my trust for dust removal and check up.
As mentioned it looks more like a plain 124.

Cheers
Thomas-Michael

Attachments

• 124G.jpg
    124G.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 0
If your repair guy can't tell you anything concrete (I think he'll say there's the front of a 124 on your 124G) then I would send a query to Mark Hama... He used to put these things together for Yashica.

http://www.markhama.com/

Peter

Based on a picture and my (somewhat limited) knowledge of these cameras - you have a camera that was put together from parts. Doesn't mean that it's a bad thing - wait and see. Give it a good run with film, see how all work, how well/smooth these work. Size should be identical, so it shouldn't affect performance - IF that was the only part that was swapped. I have never seenor heard of Mat 124 G with silver/metal front. Me personally - I wouldn't buy a 124 G - older Mat 124 are better mechanically and have exact same lenses, yet typically cost less. Most people want 124 G for some unknown to me reason. Maybe it's "all black" finish that attracts them. I go for a better functioning and longer lasting camera, as these 124 series Yashicas are very nice cameras with GREAT lenses. For some things I even prefer it to my Rolleiflexes.
Just my 2 cents.

George

umm

umm

Gold contacts, or newer contacts, are better than non-gold or older contacts.

I purchased a GSN from the classifieds here only to find out it has crap contacts for the meter lights. It was only $10 or $20, but I like to disclose that kind of stuff.

In a camera this old, the better the contacts, the less likely for failures.

If you really want to go retro, there are folks who think the Yashikor lens of the earlier TLR's are better than the Yashinon, fwiw.

Krosya said:
Based on a picture and my (somewhat limited) knowledge of these cameras - you have a camera that was put together from parts. Doesn't mean that it's a bad thing - wait and see. Give it a good run with film, see how all work, how well/smooth these work. Size should be identical, so it shouldn't affect performance - IF that was the only part that was swapped. I have never seenor heard of Mat 124 G with silver/metal front. Me personally - I wouldn't buy a 124 G - older Mat 124 are better mechanically and have exact same lenses, yet typically cost less. Most people want 124 G for some unknown to me reason. Maybe it's "all black" finish that attracts them. I go for a better functioning and longer lasting camera, as these 124 series Yashicas are very nice cameras with GREAT lenses. For some things I even prefer it to my Rolleiflexes.
Just my 2 cents.

George

ampguy said:
Gold contacts, or newer contacts, are better than non-gold or older contacts.

I purchased a GSN from the classifieds here only to find out it has crap contacts for the meter lights. It was only $10 or $20, but I like to disclose that kind of stuff.

In a camera this old, the better the contacts, the less likely for failures.

If you really want to go retro, there are folks who think the Yashikor lens of the earlier TLR's are better than the Yashinon, fwiw.

That would be true, well it is true about contacts, yet, in most cases Yashica's built ib meter either doesn't work, or doesn't work accurate/correct, or it's difficult to find a battery - all in all - a pain, thats not worth dealing with. I love to use my 124 but never rely on it's meter, which works with old contacts, just way off from my Sekonic one. Plus if you are serious enough to go MF with TLR - it's best to use a handheld meter anyway. I honstly don't see that gold contacts of a 124G would be a selling point today. Back when they were made and brand new - sure. Today when you get an old camera like that it's far more important to have better mechanics ( made from metal vs plastic) that gold contacts on a meter you will not even use or trust.
Well, just my opinion.

George

I have a fine Yashica Mat 124 (not G) and it is identical to the "G" model except for the gold meter contacts. I don't use the meter. The 124 has the advantage that it is all metal in construction, winding is quieter, and the "G" has much plastic.

It looks like you have a "G" body with a non-G lens assembly.

BTW, my 124 is for sale. Beautiful. Meter window is missing and meter does not work...needle issue. All else is great. $150

I've heard that the 124G has better baffling. Can anyone verify? For my YashicaMat, the lens hood is a vital accesory to control flare.

Looks like a Frankencam. I'm tearing my Yashica-mat 124 apart right now, it's getting its shutter overhauled and probably need to clean the ground glass. My 635 is also getting a shutter overhaul and a wardrobe upgrade. Not sure if the 635 will be getting black goat skin, or a plumb colored lamb skin, or maybe a bright red lamb skin. These are nice smooth soft garment grade leathers, which felt really nice on my Rolleicord test camera. Unfortunately, someone has already worked on my 'mat which means it is probably messed up. Thankfully the 635 was a one owner camera when I bought it used, and the shutter only needs a little cleaning and oil (which is common with age).

Back