Yashica Mat Aperture Marker: Purpose?

Russell W. Barnes

Well-known
Local time
8:15 AM
Hello.
I've just acquired a Yashica Mat with a Yashinon 80mm f3.5 lens (had one before years ago) and I notice that there is a black line marked between f16 and f22. Is this the 'sweet-spot'? There's nothing in the manual about it.

I ask because my Mess-Baldix has a red dot on the aperture between f8 and f11 (f9.5?) which will yield optimum results if used as a 'quick setting' in conjunction with one of two red dots on the focussing ring. I thought the Yashica Mat may have something similar.

If this is not the case, what IS the Yashinon lens 'sweet-spot'?
--
Kind Regds,

R.

Your post made me look at my Yashica Mat which, sure enough, has the same black line. I had never noticed it before and I have no idea what it's purpose is.

The Yashinon is, as far as I can gather, a Tessar-type lens and my comparisons to my 3.5 Rollei would tend to confirm that as they are pretty indiscernible to me. Sweet spot? I dunno.... everything past f5.6 looks pretty sharp to me! I would think that a lens' sweet spot would depend upon what you're looking for.

lens tests. Although the results for the Yashinon at f/3.5 throw the whole thing into doubt for me- highest center resolution on a Tessar design at widest opening? I doubt it. Anyway, looks like f/8-16 is the sweet spot.

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/MF_testing.html

I know that some older Rollei models have a black dot between 11 and 22, with no 16 marked; the dot is the 16 spot. Simply no room for the number as the dial gets tighter and tighter.

By the way, the red dot on your Mess-Baldix is a sort of hyperfocus setting for a default film speed. Not necessarily a 'prime resolution' spot. This was so people who didn't know much about photography could use the red dots and simply get good results, usually from about 5 feet to infinity (this should be explained in the manual). Well, at least that is the function of the red dots on Zeiss and other folders.

Dan; Pentode...

Thanks for that. Makes sense that an f19 couldn't be squeezed in there. Yes; the Baldix... It is explained in the manual, but I get the impression from what I've read that the optimum qualities of the Baltar f4.5 lens are around f8 - f11, so I reckoned this red dot at an optimised (compromise?) position would give the uninitiated a sporting chance of getting a better photo. I tend to keep above f8 anyway as the corners appears soft-ish otherwise.

Wonder if the 'ever ready' setting is a different aperture for the other Baldix lenses?

Just looked at my newly-acquired Yashica 635, and it has a white line between 16 and 22, and I'm wondering if such lines are actually a "THIS is the actual point where the diaphragm is actually set at 22 and NOT where it's marked on the lens 'cos there ain't enough space for the number" marker OR having noticed the control wheel can be turned beyond the 22, the line is a "THIS is where the diaphragm is actually set at 22 'cos the control wheel can be set beyond the 22 and we don't want you to think the diaphragm is at 22 at any other place than the line" marker.

Just looked at my newly-acquired Yashica 635, and it has a white line between 16 and 22, and I'm wondering if such lines are actually a "THIS is the actual point where the diaphragm is actually set at 22 and NOT where it's marked on the lens 'cos there ain't enough space for the number" marker OR having noticed the control wheel can be turned beyond the 22, the line is a "THIS is where the diaphragm is actually set at 22 'cos the control wheel can be set beyond the 22 and we don't want you to think the diaphragm is at 22 at any other place than the line" marker.

Yes, the line shows where 22 is. Other cameras have lines like that to mark certain shutter speeds or distances, or both, like this Kodak Retina 1a: https://www.kenrockwell.com/kodak/retina-1a.htm

Makes sense, really JPD, as sometimes there ain't enough space for the numbers on various cameras and lenses. f3.5 is marked by a bent line on my Agfa Super Solinette. I must confess that I hadn't even thought about shutter speeds!

Back