Canada Young Photographer Looking for Assistant Jobs

bosco

#olympusboyz
Local time
7:58 AM
Hey, my name is Matt. I am a young photographer from Hamilton, ON. I have experience shooting sports tournaments, weddings and working with models. My main personal work involves using strobes and various film formats. I have professional level Canon Digital Gear.

I am looking for any type of work, paid or just for experience. Please feel free to contact me at my email: [email protected]

www.mattboscophoto.tumblr.com

Unfortunately, you are about 15 years behind the curve.
Good luck, but you have to know times have changed.
Sorry for the gloomy news.

Just keep shooting. Do it for yourself, not for pay. When that work pays off then you'll have landed.
I'm the biggest doom and gloomer out there since I've been essentially homeless for over a year. I have a part time retail job and have been busting my butt to get anything paid in photo work. I had a little then some misfortune. Then a little more and a dry spell.
Don't count on living on it at all these days. Keep shooting but do it for your own love of photography, not as a way to make money.

Phil Forrest

Juliard is now teaching musicians how to generate income from a second source. One job in music is insufficient.

Photography is the same. Everyone has a digital camera and thinks they are a photographer. And they are because they sell cheap and photo editors have no budget and the general public has no appreciation for quality.

Basically the economy is all screwed up and yet the same people keep getting reelected.
What does that tell you about the knowledge of the general public? They don`t appreciate music, art, photography, or their own welfare.

You have experience with "sports tournaments, weddings and working with models" - my suggestion is that you show some of these shots on your blog; the skaters are fine, but they are not going to evoke much commercial interest. Good luck.

am not sure did OP ask for career suggestions, + never worked in photography so consider this less than the usual 'two cents'. but I'd focus video as primary and stills secondary, if entering the business now as young person without references and experience.

regarding some comments above, if you go ask farmer how was his last year, the answer probably is that tractor broke and weather sucked. same is prevalent on photography boards these days. with all the doom and gloom, its good to remember that world is more content and creativity hungry than ever. the 'need' is there, it hasn't disappeared anywhere. so better to leave mourning for others, and be very good with what you like doing best :)

Ever tried contacting any of the BMX or skateboarding magazines in Canada? Since that seems to be an interest of yours, maybe find out about any BMX/skateboarding related events or maybe potential stories that you can generate yourself -- like a profile of a local shop that you like? Maybe that can become a speciality of yours, and you can eventually become the 'go to' guy for BMX and skateboarding photography. Just a thought, particularly if you're trying to gain experience and potentially a few published pieces.

As well, what photographers are located in the Hamilton area? Anyone there whose work you like? If so, have you contacted them to see about assisting, or even just shadowing them for a day to see how they work? Who does the shooting for the Ti-Cats? If you're interest also includes football, find out who shoots for them, and contact them.

As jarski has said: the need is still there, but the problem is that the need is being fulfilled for free with everyone having a digital camera or smartphone.

Focussing on your passion, like skateboarding, as Vince suggested is a great idea, but you have to do that in your spare time while holding down a paying job.

Here's someone that you could maybe try: http://www.ronscheffler.com/blog/

Don't know him, but a quick 'Photographer for Hamilton Tiger Cats' Google, and there he popped! Man that was tough....

If nothing else, he might be someone you could at least talk to. And he's right in your backyard.

As far as the BMX/skateboarding magazines go, if you've never been published and you've never worked for them before, they'd be more receptive to hiring you if you have a story already done (shot and written) that you could offer them, rather than 'well if you ever have a story in Hamilton, give me a call'. So if that is in fact something that you'd be interested in, go out there and find a story.

Couple of ideas to help:

Join an association that works in helping professional photographers. This is the one I'm involved with:

http://www.tcppa.org/

Once you join attend the meetings. Have a resume, each in an envelope, you can give to potential people who operate a business. Dress like a professional. Business cards can help. You're looking to get hired. You'll do most anything, helping move equipment around, helping with set ups, moving stuff in & out of events.

You need to get your foot in the door. Prove yourself, you're reliable, trustworthy and will follow directions.

After a while suggest trying your eyes to make photographs. To help. Build a portfolio. You may get resistance until you know the photographer as s(he) may think all you're going to do is figure me out and go off on your own. And you may do that someday.

The best is finding an older, seasoned photographer who may want to mentor you, be a coach and maybe in a few years possibly you buy the business. Save money for that to happen. Avoid buying the latest gear.

Photography is about getting clients that stay as clients. That can be hard.

The easy part is getting equipment and using it. The tools of the trade so to speak.

For me, I'm a minimalist. I use one camera, one lens but I have two backup cameras and a few other lenses. When I make photos I don't think of equipment, lighting, posing or composition. I just use it and some think it's easy but it isn't. Get to know the basics of those three areas, just like you speak. Do you pre-think how to pronounce each word before you say it? Get the posing, lighting & composition down pat, then experiment, break the rules as you see things. That will be your stamp on how you see the world. Avoid making "snapshots" as your potential clients will think, "I can do that," and you won't get hired at least for the good jobs that pay the best. When you do make the "moments" type of photographs, like at a wedding, you will still incorporate those three important aspects with your photography.

Practice, practice, practice!

Dude, talk to some bmx and skate mags. Send them your stuff. See if you can get an appointment with their editors. You stuff, especially your strobe stuff is pretty good!

thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I will try and contact some photographers in the Hamilton area regarding weddings. As well as the photographer for the Ti-Cats.

I understand that photography has been much easier to get into with digital cameras.

As for the BMX/Skateboarding stuff, magazines look for pro riders with many sponsers to feature in their magazines. I have been printed in a scooter magazine and do get paid for shooting photo occasionally for smaller companies. I am just hoping my friends get picked up by bigger companies soon!

Thanks again for the feedback everyone, greatly appreciated!

Back