Votes: 7 1.2%
  • only fast 50

Votes: 54 9.3%

• Total voters

Matus

Well-known
Local time
6:45 PM
Just getting a bit bored (and outside is raining).

So - as the 35 and 50 lenses seem to get most use - some of us prefer 35 and others 50 as their "main" lens, but many use both.

I have a question towards RF users who use both 35 and 50 - what is your preferred combination - both lenses "fast", both lenses "slow" or somewhere in between?

FAST means anything f/2.0 and faster

SLOW means anything below f/2.0

Of course - do not hesitate to share your particular selection :)

Last edited:
Just a small updated. Many have several 35 and/or 50 lenses - in that case select what would you keep as your only 35/50 combination :)

If "slow" is anything under f/2, most current zooms for SLRs are left out of the running.

OK, I know I'm comparing apples and oranges -- zooms aren't known for working on RF cameras. But 35mm and 50mm lenses are very much part and parcel of SLRs, too. In that case, I guess the same question applies. Especially when some digitals can go up to 64,000 ISO or even beyond. How many people use such ISOs?

The 35 and 50 never go out at the same time though I prefer fast versions of both. I pair the 35 with a 75mm and the 50 with a 21mm.

Phil Forrest

I took a 35/1.8 and a 50/2.5 on vacation this summer and that combo was perfect. I figure it makes more sense for the faster lens to be slightly wider, for indoor use.

Hi, currently i use a c-sonnar and a 35mm summicron v3.

C-sonnar is superb, fast, sharp,unique and small, cron v3 is great also, hope to get a iv version in the future.

Bye

totally agree with bingley.
the times you are shooting in darker places, indoors, at night, you are usually closer to people, and could use the width. so a faster 35 makes more sense.
Urban environments generally can get darker, faster as well.
When I'm outdoors shooting at longer distances, it generally isn't in the dark. So a slower 50 would suit me fine.

otoh, 35's are usually soo much more $$ for fast versions, that the economic considerations could explain the poll skewing towards fast 50 slow 35.
It certainly does for me.

I took a 35/1.8 and a 50/2.5 on vacation this summer and that combo was perfect. I figure it makes more sense for the faster lens to be slightly wider, for indoor use.

Indeed that is a good choice. On the other hand a slow 35 could be good for daylight shoot and fast 50 for some portrait stuff. But is seems that many solve this situation with simply fast 35 and fast 50 :)

Currently, I have two 35's and one 50. An ungoggled 35mm f2.8 Summaron, a 35mm v4 Summicron, and a C-Sonnar 50mm f1.5. The 35's are kind've redundant but I'm holding on to both for the time being. The C-Sonnar is replacing a Rigid Summicron. I like having at least one really fast lens and the Sonnar fits the bill better than the Rigid.

Previously, I had 35mm f1.2 Nokton and a 50mm F2 Planar as my kit. The bottom line is that we are spoiled having so many amazing lenses to use these days. One really cannot go wrong.

I'm generally a slow lens type of guy due to size and lack of distortion being my primary concerns.

35mm C-Biogon 2.8
35mm M Optical Perar 3.5
50mm Summarit 2.5

But, I have a 40mm CV 1.4 coming my way... we'll see if it lasts. ;)

I wish I could FIND a 50mm Summarit 2.5. Even those lenses are unavailable these days. I'd love a really compact 50mm that isn't collapsible.

Phil Forrest

totally agree with bingley.
the times you are shooting in darker places, indoors, at night, you are usually closer to people, and could use the width. so a faster 35 makes more sense.
Urban environments generally can get darker, faster as well.
When I'm outdoors shooting at longer distances, it generally isn't in the dark. So a slower 50 would suit me fine.

otoh, 35's are usually soo much more $$ for fast versions, that the economic considerations could explain the poll skewing towards fast 50 slow 35.
It certainly does for me.

I hear you on the cost of fast 35s. But my workaround is a Canon 35/1.8, which doesn't cost nearly as much more modern lenses. It's soft wide open, but serviceable, and nicely sharp stopped down.

my favourite 35mm lenses: summicron 1st version, summicron asph., summilux pre-asph.

my favourite 50mm lenses: summicron 4th version, summilux pre-asph.

Back