Your thoughts on Nikkor 50/1.8 AI-S Japanese pancake version

Hey folks! I'm looking to get a 50mm prime for my Nikon F3 to replace a Series E that I had. From the discussion here and elsewhere, it's looking like the 50mm/1.8 AI-S Japanese pancake (with serial number beginning with 2) is my best bet.

However, it's quite a bit rarer in the UK than the standard 50mm/1.8 AI-S pancake (with serial number beginning with 4). I'd be curious to hear peoples' thoughts on whether it's worth paying a premium for the Japanese version, and how much of a premium is worthwhile?

Many thanks!

For the closer focus, yes, get the Japanese version.

As to how much, that’s an individual decision.

If you’re patient they pop up at fair prices, as not everyone knows about the specifics of these.

Hey folks! I'm looking to get a 50mm prime for my Nikon F3 to replace a Series E that I had. From the discussion here and elsewhere, it's looking like the 50mm/1.8 AI-S Japanese pancake (with serial number beginning with 2) is my best bet.

However, it's quite a bit rarer in the UK than the standard 50mm/1.8 AI-S pancake (with serial number beginning with 4). I'd be curious to hear peoples' thoughts on whether it's worth paying a premium for the Japanese version, and how much of a premium is worthwhile?

Many thanks!

You can find the close focus versions on Ebay from Japanese sellers relatively easily. As you say, they're very hard to find in the UK. Probably around GBP 150 for a decent one plus any Customs charges. But do look at quite a few - I have noticed several examples with fungus.

You can find the close focus versions on Ebay from Japanese sellers relatively easily. As you say, they're very hard to find in the UK. Probably around GBP 150 for a decent one plus any Customs charges. But do look at quite a few - I have noticed several examples with fungus.

I got mine from here on rff. :)

The current 50mm 1.8 af-d is the same lens in a lighter, albeit more voluminous, barrel...

Yes, although the manual focus action is not in the same league. I have a made in Japan version of the AF-D.

Weights:
pancake: 173g
AF-D: 157g

...not everyone knows about the specifics of these.

I agree, most of the 50/1.8 pancakes I've seen on the Big Auction site and elsewhere rarely specify whether or not it's the Japanese version. You'd need to know what to look for, like the serial number beginning with 2 or the 0.45m close focus distance.

Is the "Japanese" version any different optically than my 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor that focuses to 0.6 meter? Mine doesn't focus to 0.45M, but is nevertheless marked "Made in Japan." So what's the difference? How is the 0.45 version any more Japanese than the 0.6 version?

All the manual focus were made in Japan, later AFD versions are marked MIJ as well as MIC.

Same optics in the 0.6m as the 0.45m versions.

More here.

The pancake was not exported when new; made only for Japanese market.

All the manual focus were made in Japan, later AFD versions are marked MIJ as well as MIC.

Same optics in the 0.6m as the 0.45m versions.

More here.

The pancake was not exported when new; made only for Japanese market.

I see. For some reason the .45M version seems to get all the attention, even though the only difference is in the mount.

Same mount, but smaller/lighter than any of the other 50/1.8 varieties, and closer focus than the other pancake varieties.

Enjoying your pics with this lens, dourbalistar

:)

Thanks! I've only had the lens for a few months, but it's quickly become a favorite.

So, the difference between the two is simply closer focus?

The Japanese-market version has rubber focus ring, while the other pancake has a plastic focusing ring. The MIR site also notes one more "feature".

Another add on by Nikon is:- Added is a lens's mounting assistance post which serves as a convenient feature for mounting the lens in the dark (With the post facing up, simply push the back of the lens against the camera body's lens mounting flange, then twist the lens counterclockwise until it clicks into place).

Back