Zeiss Contax prewar Collapsible Tessar ?

Yes, winding the Contax I is a challenge. I also have trouble telling when it's completely wound sometimes, particularly at the slower speeds. I'm finding it good to look beforehand at the counter to see what my starting point is before winding.

All the literature I've seen on the blackface lenses mentions nothing about filters. That 25.5 Pentax Skylight I've got on it now (taken from a Pentax 110 lens) looks really wrong, but it could do the job. I'd like to find something a little flatter looking.

Jim

I have some of the original Zeiss filters. They are flatter, do not have outer threads. They are chrome. And lots of sizes, like 24mm, 25.5mm, 27mm, etc.

The Hoya provides some shading as it is deeper. If you want a vintage piece with all original accessories, it can be done. The Hoya is coated, and is a better filter.

I'm still testing this lens, as I'm still on my first roll of film, so I'm not sure how it will perform. Mine is quite clean, without any noticeable cleaning marks, but it has a few specks of debris inside, which hopefully won't matter too much. I've had mixed results with old uncoated lenses to this point. I've got a collection of 10 or 11 Zeiss-Ikon Ikonta/Ikomats with uncoated novar lenses which are actually better shooters than the early Tessars I've used, on my Rolleiflex New Standard and on a couple of Balda Baldaxes. I"ve shot lots of transparency film with the early Novars with great results.

I'll keep my eyes open for some of the original Zeiss filters for the sake of keeping it authentic looking.

Jim

4154494844_cbafa7d72a_b.jpg

Maybe it's not all that bad...

I have an early nickel and black f/2.8 Tessar for the Contax and a later f/2.8 Tessar for the Nettax.

Both have given me sharp photos wide open, with color and black and white film.

Hi Brian and Ernesto,

Are you sure the size is 25.5mm? Is that for the 3.5 Tessar or the 2.8 Tessar? I thought the 2.8 version took a 27mm filter. I've got a hodgepodge of filters but none of that size. My approach to most lenses I dearly love is to cover them with a filter and leave it there so I never have to clean the lens.

Does anyone know if the silver-face 2.8 version take 27mm? I ordered a lens from 1940, and I would like to find some contrast filters for it.

Thanks!

25.5mm Filters & 27mm Series V Adapters

25.5mm Filters & 27mm Series V Adapters

Does anyone know if the silver-face 2.8 version take 27mm? I ordered a lens from 1940, and I would like to find some contrast filters for it.

Thanks!

There are 2 different ways of going about putting hoods, filters & caps on the collapsible 5cm F2.8 Tessar.

#1 If you want to screw in a hood, cap or a filter onto the F2.8 collapsible Tessar, then 25.5mm is the right size, period. The Pentax 110 system was the source for many 25.5mm accessories. However, 25.5mm sized accessories will not work with the F3.5 collapsible Tessar. Even though the F3.5 Tessar has threads, they will not accept 25.5mm, or 25mm accessories.

#2 A Kodak Series V adapter ring sized 1&1/16 inches = 27mm also works. It pushes onto both the F2.8 & the F3.5 collapsible Tessars. The down side is that the series V adapter blocks the aperture indications on the face of the lens. Thus, you must pull off the adapter in order to confirm and/or change the aperture setting.

I hope this helps!
Dave

Contax prices

Contax prices

At the head bartender's web site there is a nice article comparing the prices of Leica & Zeiss in 1938 America.

1) Leica IIIa w/ 50/3.5 Elmar - $134.50
2) Contax II w/ 50/3.5 Tessar - $169.00
3) Leica IIIa w/ 50/2 Summar - $169.50
4) Contax II w/ 50/2 Sonnar - $184.50
5) Contax II w/ 50/1.5 Sonnar - $269.00

Was there a significant price rise between 1938 and 1939? The American Zeiss Ikon catalog for 1939 lists the Contax II with the following prices:
w/ 5cm f3.5 Tessar: $189.00
w/ 5cm f2.8 Tessar: $204.00
w/ 5cm f2 Sonnar: $240.00
w/ 5cm f1.5 Sonnar: $327.00
Prices for the Contax III were much higher.
We are talking about prices equivalent to close to four thousand dollars in current money. It was a professional's camera—or a rich amateur! Leicas weren't cheap either.
WES

As fas as I know here is the original push fit lens hood for the Tessar, the aperture is set by turning the lens hood once fitted. This shot also shows the 25.5mm Pentax 110 UV filter.

This hood is painted brass.

As fas as I know here is the original push fit lens hood for the Tessar, the aperture is set by turning the lens hood once fitted. This shot also shows the 25.5mm Pentax 110 UV filter.

This hood is painted brass.

Hello Kevcaster,

I figured that Zeiss actually used the space between the aperture ring and the outer rim of the lens mount. As this hood is painted black, I assume it was designed to mate with a black lens?

From the photo, I can just barely make out a "2." Is that part of an item number? Does this particular lens shade have an item number engraved on it?

Hello Kevcaster,

From the photo, I can just barely make out a "2." Is that part of an item number? Does this particular lens shade have an item number engraved on it?

Hi Zeissguy
There is the number '42' engraved on the shade, it refers to the push fit diameter and there is no other engraving. It is very well made and I think a Zeiss original.
This hood came to me attached to a chrome, wartime 135mm Sonnar that is in well-worn condition. The front bezel was scratched and worn where this hood was attached. It is not a 135 hood so these two were brought together at some point.
When I opened it up it had two types of grease present, the older one contained fibres that could have been from a coat. One of the internal focusing sliders were not original but a hand made substitute - they work. The T coated lens elements were pristine, no scratches, no fungus, no separation and so I speculate that this lens was well used by photographer who understood how to keep it going.

Little is said about the prewar Collapsible Tessar - notably not taken up by Kiev - it looks neat - is it any good ? [ I guess a good J8 would trounce it , but I quite like the I 22s etc on my M 8 ]

Tour Guide, Covent Garden, London October 2015 by Kevin Yates, on Flickr

Taken last Friday with a Contax ll and pre-war F2.8 Tessar, HP5+ in Rodinal (over-developed by 1/4 by mistake). Exposure was 1/125th at F5.6. Any softness in the detail is likely to be the result of camera shake! Some fogging of the film base occurred with this roll, probably from airport x-rays. This is not near the quality this combination is capable of.
Like other pictures on this link which demonstrate much higher image quality than this picture, I do not need any more 'quality' than this combination is capable of in normal picture making situations. Your experience on a Leica M8 may be different as some vintage lenses seem not to work well with high pixel count sensors. The F2.0 Sonnar, as others say, is sharper/better at wider apertures but I cannot tell the difference once I have made a print.

For other reasons I recently tested the F2.8 pre-war Tessar against two F2.0 Sonnars, one pre and one post war, see here
The Tessar acquitted itself quite well at full aperture compared to the other two lenses, also at their full apertures. as they were stopped down the Sonnar started to show it's class and pulled ahead.

At the head bartender's web site there is a nice article comparing the prices of Leica & Zeiss in 1938 America.

1) Leica IIIa w/ 50/3.5 Elmar - $134.50
2) Contax II w/ 50/3.5 Tessar - $169.00
3) Leica IIIa w/ 50/2 Summar - $169.50
4) Contax II w/ 50/2 Sonnar - $184.50
5) Contax II w/ 50/1.5 Sonnar - $269.00

Was there a significant price rise between 1938 and 1939? The American Zeiss Ikon catalog for 1939 lists the Contax II with the following prices:
w/ 5cm f3.5 Tessar: $189.00
w/ 5cm f2.8 Tessar: $204.00
w/ 5cm f2 Sonnar: $240.00
w/ 5cm f1.5 Sonnar: $327.00
Prices for the Contax III were much higher.
We are talking about prices equivalent to close to four thousand dollars in current money. It was a professional's camera—or a rich amateur! Leicas weren't cheap either.
WES

Wes,

The prices quoted are from a camera store used camera ad.

Per price list #13 Jan 1938
w/5cm f3.5 Tessar: $188.00
w/5cm f2.8 Tessar: $206.00
w/5cm f2.0 Sonnar: $233.00
w/5cm f1.5 Sonnar: $320.00
for Contax III add $50.00 to each.

Per price list #14
w/5cm f3.5 Tessar: $168.00
w/5cm f2.8 Tessar: $181.00
w/5cm f2.0 Sonnar: $210.00
w/5cm f1.5 Sonnar: $288.00
for Contax III add $45 to each.

And the prices you show are from price list #15.

Bill

I recently acquired a silver (not black face) 50mm collapsible Tessar 2.8. I can see how a 42 mm hood will push on between the aperture ring and the focus ring. However, my threads measure 24mm at the front element ring. Most people posting in this thread were able to use the Hoya or Pentax filter 25.5mm. Will that work on my lens or not? Ig uess it may depend on how you measure the filters for thread distance v OD?...or outer threads.?

My CZJ 5cm F2.8 Tessar SN 135xxxx and SN254xxxx both take a Hoya 25.5mm filter. I think these came on my Pextax 110 SLR kit long ago. I bought a pre-war 5cm F3.5 Tessar SN 127xxxx, it uses a smaller size. I need to check my box of filters for it.

Back