Zeiss Hologon 16mm/8 with Leica M10

Holog--16%20copy-X3.jpg

Holog--17%20copy-X3.jpg

Holog--18%20copy-X3.jpg

Leica M10 DNG mode with Zeiss Hologon 16mm/8. I used Perfect Effects 9 to convert the DNG images to JPG in B&W with mode "Tri-X". The B&W rendering looks fine to me.

Raid,

I like all of the photos you've posted recently, but this one just hits all the numbers for me, right on the mark. Looks like a funny mix of a scene from the prehistoric and the future, wrapped up together on a present day beach.

There does seem to be an odd variation in density, on the right ... Looks like a vertical column of higher or lower exposure. I wonder what's causing that? Or did I miss something in the thread?

G

Hi Godfrey,
On 2 or 3 occasions I turned on the M10 quickly and then I immediately took a shot. That is not well received by the M10, and I hear a delay in the exposure. When I wait a second or two, it works again well. It does not like to go to quickly from OFF to ON and take photos. maybe this is one of these moments?
Could it be the vignetting with the Hologon and the use of the special ND filter? There are many possible factors here.
It could be the PP with Perfect Effects 9 with setting B&W Film and then choosing Tri-X 400 and the using a red filter and adjusting brightness and contrast. Maybe this caused the effect that you have identified, Godfrey.

There is/was a small spot on the left side of each image (as seen here). This may have been a sand grain on the ND filter.

Hi Godfrey,
On 2 or 3 occasions I turned on the M10 quickly and then I immediately took a shot. That is not well received by the M10, and I hear a delay in the exposure. When I wait a second or two, it works again well. It does not like to go to quickly from OFF to ON and take photos. maybe this is one of these moments?

Hmm, well, it's an odd effect ... Like a wave in the vertical direction around which the exposure is slightly off, tapering to left and right. Could be flare from the ND filter..?

I don't know about the M10 'power-on to ready' time issue; I've not used one of those bodies yet. (I'm tempted by the M10-Monochrom, or maybe the Q2M, but at the moment they're both a little out of reach financially.) I will say that my CL very occasionally exhibits something similar, both at power on AND at power off. It's never affected an exposure that I can tell, however.

G

The rear glass of the Hologon is too close to the sensor.
If seen in color, there is a weird looking purple smearing. mostly on the right side of each image. Being a lazy person, I just converted the image to B&W. What you have seen is the purple smear becoming a B&W smear, so to speak. I am avoiding having to use a special software to adjust the colors of each image taken with the Hologon. Think of the results as being "artistic" in a special way :)

An example:

Holog--X3.jpg

Your chosen one:
This effect is only seen with the digital M.

Ah, that explains it. :D

I'd likely do some "fill in" work to mask the color shift, or crop it out. I do that sort of thing... ;)

It's a wonderful image regardless!

G

Thank you Godfrey. I am still learning ways to reduce the effects of smearing. Some people have recommended to me to use CORNERFIX.
Using my M8, there is enough cropping to remove most of such smearing.

Thank you Godfrey. I am still learning ways to reduce the effects of smearing. Some people have recommended to me to use CORNERFIX.
Using my M8, there is enough cropping to remove most of such smearing.

CornerFix works well, I've used it in the past occasionally. It adds a bit of a fussy step to the usual image processing workflow, but for some things it's worth the effort!

G

CornerFix works well, I've used it in the past occasionally. It adds a bit of a fussy step to the usual image processing workflow, but for some things it's worth the effort!

G

I am enjoying a newly found liking for B&W this way.

Back