Zeiss Ikon 4/18mm

Out to Lunch

Menteur
Local time
11:45 AM
Someone offered me an attractive price for a mint Zeiss 4/18mm ZM. Any active users willing to share their experiences? I am also curious how it compares with the newly released Voigtlander 4.5/15 super wide heliar. Many thanks for your feedback. Peter

It's a much bigger lens than the original 4.5 Heliar, very sharp, and well-built. You will need an external finder - the Zeiss one is expensive but all the Zeiss external finders are brighter than anything else on the market, new or used. I don't use mine as often as I should, but it is a worthwhile lens. Because my Heliar is the first LTM edition, I don't use it much, but that will change when my IIIa returns from cleaning. If the price is good, and includes a finder, go for it. If you don't like it, you can always resell it.

Thanks for your feedback presspass. I'm going to fondle the Zeiss 4/18 ZM tomorrow and make up my mind. I already have the matching 2.8/28 lens hood and I'm using the Voigtlander multi 15-35 zoom viewfinder which suits me fine.

This is a fantastic lens, on the level of the SEM 21.

Bus Stop by unoh7, on Flickr

L1021264 by unoh7, on Flickr

Take Heart by unoh7, on Flickr

Close Sentiment by unoh7, on Flickr

The on M9 coded as pre-asph 21/2.8 (a must)

The new CV v3 15 MIGHT be as good. It is not better. :)

Certainly the older CV 15 is not at this level. I think the new v3 is actually bigger than the ZM.

Not sure why the lens was discontinued as it's a pretty modern design. ZI 18 finder is also best available.

Back