Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 56/2

Dave S.

Well-known
Local time
3:23 AM
I picked up an old Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 56/2 several years ago and just recently got around to shooting a roll with it. It's a sharp looking camera and even came with the original case.

I must admit I didn't have high hopes for the images I might get out of this camera, but I was pleasantly surprised by the results when I got the scans back today.

I handheld all of these shots and thought I might have more of a problem with camera shake (fixed 1/30th shutter).

Anyone else using one of these? I've decided I'm pleased enough to load her up with roll number 2... :D

10240213854_debf7c3ec8_z.jpg

10240281046_7d8987fa3d_z.jpg

10240343636_5efc9a3e85_z.jpg

10240436953_e7b7402503_z.jpg

A stopped down menicus lens is not a bad lens furthermore the big 6x9cm neg requires a lot less enlargment than 35mm. The Box Tengor is also a high class Box not a simple fixed focus affair. The only drawback is the shutter speed of 1/30th :( other than that it's one of the most portable 6x9cm cameras.

Wow Dave, your Tengor is in really nice condition! Nice images too.

In discussions of box cameras, the Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor is often mentioned as being among the best ever made. I believe that its surprisingly good image quality is the result of its achromat lens (a cemented doublet to be exact) - rather than the usual single element meniscus. I happen to have a 56/2 myself, but unfortunately haven't been able to put it to use yet as it is quite a ways down the queue on my camera projects list at the moment. :)
Hopefully I will have it back in service before too long.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I enjoyed your photographs BW400CN. Thanks for posting them! Very interesting about the "achromat lens", I figured it was a single element meniscus as DominikDUK mentioned above. Looking at the instruction booklet for the 56/2 it does indeed indicate:

"The BOX TENGOR is equipped with an excellently colour corrected two-lens objective, well suitable for colour photography."

Works for me! :D

Nice stuff.

Mine is a pre-war Box Tengor, 1937. Actually, it still has the little lead seal from the Dutch Customs Office attached to it, people used to keep them attached on camera's bought abroad so they could prove they paid their duties.

Recently shot a roll of 35mm Kodacolor in it: nice negatives 9x3.5 cms, sprocket holes included!

Panorama Assen, Dr. nr.5 by johanniels.com, on Flickr

To see what I did to get these, look here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.593915330666869.1073741830.590343301024072&type=3

Happy shooting!

Beautiful shots Dave,

I have a 54/2 pre-war one (with fixed focus). I didn't like it very much at the time because it tended to scratch the negatives. I fixed this by slightly folding and sanding the edges of the film frame inside the camera.

Tengor01.jpg

I like my Kodak box cameras a little better ;)

I have a prewar 54/2 also -- based on pictures I've seen of others, it's late 1920s vintage. Haven't used it yet but these pictures are making me eager to try it. I may follow Mr. Flibble's suggestion about the edges of the film gate. Anyone know if the early Box Tengors have the cemented achromat, or do they have a meniscus lens?

I have an identical camera to Dave's. It's a great performer for a box camera. You need a certain amount of ingenuity, a tripod and maybe a couple of ND filters to operate it but other than that it's just big fun! Even my experienced film shooter buddies think it's really a cool camera.

9158892923_403b48188a_z.jpg

...finally got myself a 56/2 on the way, I'm pretty excited about it.

Found a mint- condition unit in the Netherlands with the shoulder bag and booklet. Pretty sure (since this will be my only camera for a while) that I'll shoot with it exclusively and really get to know the process, the way of working within its limitations. I'd like to set a goal for 6 months or a year, to see how comfortable I can get with it and see what it can do when taken seriously.

Lots of examples online (and in this thread, too) of the results possible with care and consideration when using it.

I've got a few rolls through through the box, and I'm impressed with what it can do. Certainly more versatile than I thought with the close-up lenses build in. It has a very distinctive OOF signature, but the sharp parts are SHARP. When you get the exposure right, it sings.

From a test roll, exploring the closer settings. This is 1-2M and F11. Quite looking forward to some decent weather so I can start a few rolls of portraits.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Scan-141014-0003_xl.jpg
    Scan-141014-0003_xl.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0
The quick and dirty solution is to hand hold a normal size filter in front of the lens. Easy task if you use a tripod and a release cable.

Or hold it on with a couple of rubber bands. I've tried this with a number of cameras but not with my Box Tengor, so I can't promise it will work, but...

Adrian

Got through my first roll of (seriously expired) PanF after getting acquainted with the control and ergos. Finally had a day with suitable weather for 50ISO and F9 or smaller.

Pretty sure I got one of my favorite photos of my favorite subject. One of our homeschool subjects this year is photography and Gracie (8) seems to be enjoying it.

Regarding the Box Tengor, when you get it all right, it shows. This is 1-2M setting, F9. Long shadows late afternoon sunlight. Sharp, sharp sharp. Getting my head around the lack of anything resembling automation has been the biggest hurdle, but I'm enjoying the change of pace.

Not terribly concerned with a filter with this combo at present. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Scan-141030-0005_l.jpg
    Scan-141030-0005_l.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
Great shot Matthew! Lots of personality. Glad you're enjoying the 56/2 and getting such nice results. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Back