Zeiss-Ikon Contaflex IV

Tim Murphy

Well-known
Local time
7:40 AM
Dear Board,

I just bought a Zeiss-Ikon Contaflex IV in an online auction. It comes in a case with a new looking box and looks like was cared for very well. It was advertised as a Contraflex Beta, but from the pictures in the auction and pictures online from Wikipedia it's definitely a Contaflex IV. The flip up uncoupled meter, Compur shutter with speed to 1/500th and the manual twist wind sort of give it away.

I hope it works as it looks fantastic in its pudgy chubby form. Assuming it works, does anyone care to share any tips or suggestions as far as using the camera goes? I'll assume I can get a manual from Butkus.org, but I'd greatly appreciate any insider tips that are offered.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

Dear Board,

I just bought a Zeiss-Ikon Contaflex IV in an online auction. It comes in a case with a new looking box and looks like was cared for very well. It was advertised as a Contraflex Beta, but from the pictures in the auction and pictures online from Wikipedia it's definitely a Contaflex IV. The flip up uncoupled meter, Compur shutter with speed to 1/500th and the manual twist wind sort of give it away.

I hope it works as it looks fantastic in its pudgy chubby form. Assuming it works, does anyone care to share any tips or suggestions as far as using the camera goes? I'll assume I can get a manual from Butkus.org, but I'd greatly appreciate any insider tips that are offered.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Tim,

Getting used to the viewfinder blacking out until the next frame is wound on was my big issue. If you use a Hasselblad with a compur shutter you'll have experienced this.

Bill

Tim,

Getting used to the viewfinder blacking out until the next frame is wound on was my big issue. If you use a Hasselblad with a compur shutter you'll have experienced this.

Bill
Dear Bill,

I found a manual online and read about that. It seemed to say you can leave the camera in advanced and ready to shoot setting with no issues.

It'll be fun figuring it out, I'm sure!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

I think elmarman has a Contaflex - the only advice I can offer is don't drop it on your toe, it'll be six weeks in a plaster cast!

Dear Bill,

I found a manual online and read about that. It seemed to say you can leave the camera in advanced and ready to shoot setting with no issues.

It'll be fun figuring it out, I'm sure!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Tim,

That's the right way to do it. Same as the C500 Hasselblad. I have a Contaflex I and have no problems using it.

Bill

Back