Zeiss Ikon ZM - repair / CLA in USA / Canada

jc48375

Changstein
Local time
10:40 AM
Am I under the right impression that there are very few places in USA and Canada that can repair or service Zeiss Ikon ZM bodies locally?

The only viable repair is to have Zeiss USA send it back to Japan for repair and services?

If there are reliable repair shops in North America, which ones would you recommend?

Inquiring mind wants to know before investing in one.

cheers,

Jimmy

Am I under the right impression that there are very few places in USA and Canada that can repair or service Zeiss Ikon ZM bodies locally? .......

No, just about any competent camera repair person can fix just about anything on a ZM body. There is nothing unique or special about them.

If you live in a reasonable size metro area, there is probably a competent repair person there who services most of the pro's cameras. But they are typically reclusive and prefer to work on pro's gear since pro needs are practical. (i.e. does the camera work or not, nothing else matters)

I had a bad experience with him. The shutter speed dial on one of my M3s was getting really loose, and I just wanted them to tighten it. He refused, and said they would only work on it if I had a full CLA done.
My experience was very good on an Epson Rd-1. I guess no one is perfect.

Anyone knows whether or not Zeiss still repairs the Zeiss Ikon cameras?

Yup, they do. I just had mine serviced in Oberkochen. Nice people, easy process, quick turnaround.

Update for February 2017, if it helps anyone: Just got mine back from Oberkochen, so they still do, and agree with noimmunity, word for word. Wish they still made the ZM so I could break more of them!

Back